Float Tube Tips

JRich

To All:

I am looking to try float tubing for the first time and was wondering if any of you crafty veterans could offer me some tips. I weigh 265 and while an inner tube secured around my waist would probably have a "slimming effect" on my appearance (haha), I want to be sure that I purchase a tube that will keep me dry and comfortable. So, do any of you have a product or brand recommendation considering my circumstances? Also, the places that I have in mind to float require quite a bit of walking; are there any tips for transportation? Inflation? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hi JRich,

I used to use a float tube a lot on a small lake here in Northern Illinois. I used a U-Boat and loved it. I would recommend a tube that you think you can easily get into and out of, as mounting and dismounting at the waters edge can sometimes be an adventure. I weigh 220-240 & had no problems. Mine came with a foot pump and it seemed to work fine, but my father bought a little electric air pump that we would plug into a cigarette lighter in the car & it was really nice.

Since you posted on the bassbuggers forum, I am assuming you are going to fly fish. If you ever bring a spinning or casting rod with you to change things up the only thing I can recommend is: shorter is better. Nothing worse than having to dunk your reel when you are trying to work out a problem with the rod tip.

Good luck!

J Zuzevich

I would suggest you look at the ratings on the tubes and look for a 300-350lb capacity tube. The u-style tubes as stated in the previous post make entering and exiting the tube much easier. Some of the better constructed tubes would be the outcast/fishcat series of tubes. As far as fins, standard float tube fins from caddis or creek company will work fine. If money is not a concern, Bass Proshops stocks a "prowler" model from outcast that is designed with a 325lb. weight capacity and is extremely stable, but cost about 500$. Add a decent set of fins and you will have a great setup that will provides years of use if you take care of it and store the tube partailly uninflated and out of direct sunlight when not using it.

Cabela's flyfishing catalog has a number of good floatubes with weight ratings of 300-350lbs from $149-210.Both the Togiak which I own & the Cumberland are rated at 350& come with backpack straps essential for walk in trips.To make the seat more comfortable I added a small inflatable seat cushion called a Bunsaver to mine which I found at Gander Mtn.I like the swim fins from Creek Company($45).Just make sure you don't pull'em on by the strap instead of pushing them on by the fin itself.They float.I wear a pair of either canvas slip ons or apair of waterproof slip ons called sand & surfs available from Walmart to get to/from the water which I than remove.Get 1 or 2 sizes larger to accommodate stockingfoot waders.The tube should be partially deflated between trips & as has been pointed out a pump working off a car's cigarette lighter takes only seconds to fully inflate.Nothing compares to a floatube for stillwater fishing.It allows you to easily move about or hold a pinpoint position while leaving your hands free to fish & allows access to places that wouldn't be otherwise.

To All:

I am looking to try float tubing for the first time and was wondering if any of you crafty veterans could offer me some tips. I weigh 265 and while an inner tube secured around my waist would probably have a "slimming effect" on my appearance (haha), I want to be sure that I purchase a tube that will keep me dry and comfortable. So, do any of you have a product or brand recommendation considering my circumstances? Also, the places that I have in mind to float require quite a bit of walking; are there any tips for transportation? Inflation? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hi, I've got two issues that I find help for with my float tube. I have the Prowler from OutCast.

They advertise it as for "the mature angler" which I find a hoot. I weigh 250. The other issue is that I have metal replacements for two of my vertebrae, and other float tubes were painful to sit in for a day, but the inflatable seat in the Prowler is good for me. Finally, it is fairly light and comes with shoulder straps; my wife also has one [she's petite, but likes the comfortable seat] and we also bought the insulated, triangular-sort-of-shaped, bag, into which we put our food, water and tackle. I hook my fins into the area above the seat, and then walk in, sometimes for most of an hour, and fish downstream. I put 2 carabiners on the back loops of the insulated bag, and they attach it to the front of the straps where Outcast has thoughtfully put D-rings. I can send you a pix if you want the picture rather than just words. Or, call if you want, number below

The tube has proved reliable; I bought one of the early ones in November of ... ??? 2007 ??? ... and it's bleached out in the sun, but is still fully functional; the floor sprung a leak and Outcast replaced it promptly. Other than that, it's been primo.

I also use and like the small K-Pump, which is small enough to pack along if one is anxious. After years of use, I'm no longer worried about leaks, so I just top it off at the truck and go for the day.

happy floating, John Oerter ~ 217-781-1630