Middle Fork Vermillion River

asherman

My daughter is going to be spending the summer at the University of Illinois in Champaign. I'm thinking about driving in from Chicago and arranging a father/daughter fishing trip. Can anybody that has fished the Middle Fork give me an idea of whether the river can be fished by wading or if a canoe or some other type of water craft is necessary to fish that river? It looks like there are canoe rentals available for some sections of the river.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan Sherman

You probably want to use the Kickapoo Park, located just north of Oakwood, which is just west of Danville, as the place to go. Lots of the river is in the park, and a canoe livery is located in the park. Only problem might be dodging canoeists, depending upon the day of the week, etc.

I've floated just about all of the Middle Fork from way up in Champaign County all the way to the confluence with the Salt Fork. During really low flows, it can definitely turn into a death float. I always go online and check the USGS gauge before going out; it's number 03336645. As long as it's above 150, you should be able to do a float; 200 is preferable. Floating downstream of the park is an option, too. When the water's low, the canoe rental place sometimes runs trips downstream and picks you up in Danville. There's usually more water in the channel in the lower stretches, and after you hit the confluence with the Salt Fork, it's almost never a problem.

The Middle Fork is also one of the best rivers downstate for wade fishing, though. Lots and lots of access points.

-SB

My daughter is going to be spending the summer at the University of Illinois in Champaign. I'm thinking about driving in from Chicago and arranging a father/daughter fishing trip. Can anybody that has fished the Middle Fork give me an idea of whether the river can be fished by wading or if a canoe or some other type of water craft is necessary to fish that river? It looks like there are canoe rentals available for some sections of the river.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan Sherman

========================

alan, i actually live near the river. alot of the river is wadable. canoes can be helpful in the summer but there will be some canoe dragging involved. i think up north it's called "portage". around here it's just "draggin'-the boat-don't-forget-the-beer-mabel!". there is alot of river and parts of it get lots of pressure. it is a pretty river and always a good day out. tjtroester