marabou or hair jigs

billyk

Hi Guy's, i've heard recently of the effectiveness of marabou and hair jigs on smallmouth. I read an article in ISA'a magazine and also Bassmasters. The 3-4 inch size jigs are supposedly very good on river bass. Although not always easy to find I did pick some up & am considering making my own. I'd appreciate some feed back from guy's who use these jigs. Many thanks! billyk

Hi Guy's, i've heard recently of the effectiveness of marabou and hair jigs on smallmouth. I read an article in ISA'a magazine and also Bassmasters. The 3-4 inch size jigs are supposedly very good on river bass. Although not always easy to find I did pick some up & am considering making my own. I'd appreciate some feed back from guy's who use these jigs. Many thanks! billyk

Gentleman I use hair jigs from Gapen Tackle almost all the time.For me it hasnt mattered what time of year or what the water temp.is.You can tip them with leeches or put some Smelly Jelly on them when they sit still the hair waves around and a leech or a scent draws them in.I catch 80% of my fish on these type of jigs.I use mostly 1/8 ounce and the heads are made to be pretty much snag free in the rocks and gravel.You want to match color to the color of the crayfish where you are fishing.I use mostly orange-brown or a green-yellow when I fish the Fox.I found the trick is to fish it very slowly .Throw it upstream and bring it back towards you when you are wading.I also use Gapens ugly bug jig with the same presentation tipped with a minnow or a leech for scent.The problem I have is finding these types of jigs not many companies make jigs like this anymore.I have tried many kinds and the Gapens seem to work the best because they dont snag in the rocks and gravel. You can find them on the web and they are one of the few companies that still offer a catalog.They are in Minnesota and it only takes a couple of days to get when you order from them.I know I sound like a Gapen rep but my uncles all old smally fisherman told me about these jigs 5 years ago when I was struggling catching fish and it made a huge difference in the amount and size of fish I have caught.My best in the fox last year was 22inch with over 60 fish in the 16-19 inch catagory.Yes I kepp a tally of everything I catch.So I hope that helps someone catch some more fish.GOOD LUCK

I love em' both. Marabou has more life to it...when it is sitting the hair undulates begging a smallie to eat it. Hair jigs don't really have the same movement when stopped. They both do a great job imitating a minnow when fished quickly. I think they are great for a confidence bait. When you are really struggling to catch a fish, sometimes these will do the trick. I like white and brown.

I think that hair jigs are great for targeting a particular area. I wouldn't suggest them as a search lure. Also, when the fish are aggressive...use something else that can be fished faster.

One thing I like about these is that you can tic the bottom in rocky areas and many times you won't get hung up. And if you do, they are pretty easy to free up.

The other thing I like about using them is I use them in smaller bodies of water...they seem to match the hatch better of the surrounding baitfish.