Where is there more exposed rocks and structure on the DuPage?

johntrayser

We are new to the Duper and tried around Shorewood this weekend...caught only one in a seam on a Meat Whistle. Most of the river looked pretty flat otherwise. Was that because the river is still a bit high? Also, there were a bunch of caddis fluttering around...does anyone see rising fish ever looking to gobble them?

I've never fished the Dupe, but the Vermillion also has major mayfly & caddis hatches. Have also seen black & golden stoneflies. The only time I've witnessed smallies taking dry flies is late in the season (October & November). Looks like a trout stream with small mayflies hatching & small rise forms all over the place. I've caught them on a small White Wulff, sizes 16-18.

Brian

Others might chime in as well.....

The Dupe has a ton of water that does not scream smallmouth bass but there are plenty of fish there. There are rocky sections but some of the sandy, weedy areas can be as good or better. Many of the "spots" are fairly small and can be hard to see. Put in your time and you will find plenty of fish with some very good size mixed in.

Can't help with the fly question. Sorry. Not sure what fly guys use to cover water but a faster moving selection might be the way to go while you learn the river.

Having played on the Dupe for awhile. You will get some awfully big fish out of areas that you might normally overlook. Don't be too hooked into a particular spot. Cover water. It is a small river but power fishing can be very effective at times.

Guest Don R

I was lucky enough to land 17 bass on the Dupe after work yesterday! Sixteen of them had Rock as their first name. B)

I also noticed caddis hatches on the Dupe last night. There were many fish slurping the bugs off the surface. My guess is that a lot of those fish were rockies or short smallies.

Just got word of bed sightings on the Dupe. That could explain the bit of a funk the fish are in right now.

If you see fish taking bugs off the surface, fish lower in the water column for bigger fish eating the smaller fish that are eating the bugs.

Watch for birds taking bugs as well, you don't always see the fish taking bugs off the surface but if there is forage, there is usually something eating it. Once again fish lower in the water column.

I can id a few but I'm not an expert at identifying aquatic bugs. I wonder if we can get some pics and some id's with some of these bugs and post them. It would be a great education to many of us. I think it would also be beneficial to take pics or post any sightings of some of our endagered species. Or even post pics of endagered species to look for...it would give all of us a greater appreciation on the water. I've got a field book on aquatic bugs...I hope to use it a lot this year. They are great environmental indicators too.

Sign up to become a river watch monitor and get their id stuff. Identifying macro invertebrates is exactly what they want you to do.