Smallmouth Bass Regulations

Guest Don R

Guest Don R

In one of last years' Bronzeback Bulletins Scott wrote "One of the primary goals of the ISA is to educate the public..." I agree wholeheartedly.

My assumption is that the vast majority of ISA members release all their smallmouth. It is my choice to release all the smallmouth I catch. I would never, nor should anyone in my humble opinion, look down upon or chastise anyone for keeping their legal creel of any species including smallmouth bass. In order to further educate both ISA members and visitors to this website may I suggest the April 1 to June 15 Catch and Release season be posted at the top of these forums?

In streams and tributaries statewide except for the Mississippi, Ohio, Wabash and Illinois Rivers, all smallmouth bass must be immediately released between April 1 and June 15.

Last time we spoke, you made a great point that it coincides with the first day we need a new fishing license every year.

Never put the two together, but it serves as a good reminder.

The slots and regs vary widely by watershed beyond that, however.

Guest Don R

The slots and regs vary widely by watershed beyond that, however.

I edited my post regarding slots and regs.

It just seems strange that I've read about the Catch and Release time period on at least three other Illinois area fishing websites but I haven't seen it in these forums.

We spend the money and take the time and effort to install many ISA signs to educate the public. And that's great! One would assume that the purpose of the signs is to inform the uniformed. The signs are bright yellow to gain a passerby's attention. It sure seems to make good sense to put the Catch and Release dates on the top of these forums. This move would both gain the visitor's attention and inform them of a very important regulation to protect spawning smallmouth in the vast majority of Illinois rivers.

Perhaps we assume that everyone who visits these forums know that regulation. Those that are new to Illinois, non-member registrants and any others that browse this website should be given one of the most important pieces of the puzzle when it comes to the preservation of smallmouth bass. A recent thread had a member chiming in saying that although he releases all of his bass he was unaware of the Catch and Release time period.

I think it's time to educate.

• 11 months later...
Guest rich mc

it wouldnt hurt to let your local newspaper reporter mention it in the paper maybe drop off a sign at a local bait shop. or if we had a copy of the sign we can print it on yellow paper and drop at a shop, even tape to a bait vending machine. rich

it wouldnt hurt to let your local newspaper reporter mention it in the paper maybe drop off a sign at a local bait shop. or if we had a copy of the sign we can print it on yellow paper and drop at a shop, even tape to a bait vending machine. rich

Already done that locally

I was trying to get my hands on the 2011 IL fishing regs at the fishing shows and all they had was the old one. I went to the IL DNR website and the download is still 2010 to March 31st 2011. The new fishing season with any new regs will start in less that 2 weeks. Anyone know where I can view a copy? At this point I don't even know if they are continuing the spring C&R season or changing any size regulations.

Heard they forgot to correct the walleye mistake on the Iroquois/Kankakee slot again and had to take it back to fix.With the budget crunch I wouldn't be surprised if they print fewer copies as well. Which judging by the stacks of 2010's I see in various bait shops might not be a bad idea.