Floats

Terry Dodge

Anybody use them? I have a few yarn floats and a few foam floats. I'm not real happy with either one of them but knowing the way I am, if anyone can use a float the wrong way it's me.

I've always been interested in nymphing for smallies during the cold water months.

What kind of floats do people use? Or how do I make mine work?

Anybody use them? I have a few yarn floats and a few foam floats. I'm not real happy with either one of them but knowing the way I am, if anyone can use a float the wrong way it's me.

I've always been interested in nymphing for smallies during the cold water months.

What kind of floats do people use? Or how do I make mine work?

A foam float will only sink if it's too small to stand up to the weight of the fly or the splitshot if one is used to sink the fly.Switch to a larger one.Same thing with a yarn float which has to be greased with fly floatant to keep it afloat.The typical formula is to attach the float at 2x the depth of the water being fished i.e. if the depth is 3' set the float 6' above the fly.You might want to go online in search of some instructional material on nymph fishing.While nymph fishing is slow and can get tedious it can be the most affective method in hi and or cold water.Tim Holschag is a big advocate.

Guest rich mc

i like the lightning strike indicators . they comein 3 sizes and 3 colors basically round foam with a hole that a tooth pick goes into. some ice fishing floats work as well rich

Guest airbornemike

I use an indicator regularly when fishing upstream with a larger bottom bouncing pattern, I don't use it to float the fly, it is for detecting the strike. you're basicly ticking the bottom every so often.

I like the tear drop shaped style with a slit in the side for easy removal. I've been meaning to give one of these a try as well http://www.cabelas.com/p-0054523320531a.shtml