Zebra mussels in the Dupage

I Know this is going to cause me trouble, but ... After ice fishing Deep quarry over the weekend, I realized something very sad. We the urban angler, are going to spread these zebra mussels. Everywhere.:( think about this.... how many of us, have (in the last several years) Be Honest! jumped into the dupage went wading up or down to a spot or 2. Jumped out of the water, into our car and off to the next spot? Whether it was again in the dupage or ....Another river. Think back in the summer we had a thread about jumping from spot to spot, etiquette on taking off the waders or not. What are we gonna do now? I will leave it here, so as not to cause to much trouble for myself..... too late!!! But I ask you WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO ? can we clean our waders enough?

There is a reason that Simms Fishing Products no longer makes felt soled wading boots...and they are banned totally in New Zealand! These invasive species are the biggest threat to our long term happiness in the fishing world. If you ever have seen diddy mo that is killing streams in NZ...it would truly bring tears to your eyes. One of my favorite streams in Montana has it...today there is no cure for it.

Let's give felt the BOOT in 2010!!!!!

I Know this is going to cause me trouble, but ... After ice fishing Deep quarry over the weekend, I realized something very sad. We the urban angler, are going to spread these zebra mussels. Everywhere.:( think about this.... how many of us, have (in the last several years) Be Honest! jumped into the dupage went wading up or down to a spot or 2. Jumped out of the water, into our car and off to the next spot? Whether it was again in the dupage or ....Another river. Think back in the summer we had a thread about jumping from spot to spot, etiquette on taking off the waders or not. What are we gonna do now? I will leave it here, so as not to cause to much trouble for myself..... too late!!! But I ask you WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO ? can we clean our waders enough?

What about jumping from river to river? I know I've done it. Should we all have two or three sets of boots and waders and change between rivers if that's how you plan to fish? What irritates me is that they are going to set up zebra mussel monitoring stations in the west branch. While I don't know the topography why can't they just cut the lake off from the river? I know some things are easier said than done but come on already. We know how much it costs to fix something once it is wrecked. Why not fix it before and save some money... How about about we close that big canal before LM is wrecked...

"non natives" have and always will be spread. the problem now is that it happens a lot faster...

Okay off the box.

There is a reason that Simms Fishing Products no longer makes felt soled wading boots...and they are banned totally in New Zealand! These invasive species are the biggest threat to our long term happiness in the fishing world. If you ever have seen diddy mo that is killing streams in NZ...it would truly bring tears to your eyes. One of my favorite streams in Montana has it...today there is no cure for it.

Let's give felt the BOOT in 2010!!!!!

I agree NO FELT BOOTS!!! but lets get more into this. Is there a product out there that can wash my waders when i exit that water? can we brush our waders off with a nylon bristle brush? bleach will ruin them.

What about jumping from river to river? I know I've done it. Should we all have two or three sets of boots and waders and change between rivers if that's how you plan to fish? What irritates me is that they are going to set up zebra mussel monitoring stations in the west branch. While I don't know the topography why can't they just cut the lake off from the river? I know some things are easier said than done but come on already. We know how much it costs to fix something once it is wrecked. Why not fix it before and save some money... How about about we close that big canal before LM is wrecked...

"non natives" have and always will be spread. the problem now is that it happens a lot faster...

Okay off the box.

New member. Great site. Michigan and other states want us to close our locks because of invasive carps. Understandable. The IDNR and Local and Federal governments are trying to decide if this is the proper plan via current on going research(as we see in our "daily" news). What is the other side of the Great Lake(s) doing about the snake heads coming in through the St.Lawrence. Why is that not front page also? These fish are just as destructive and invasive as any carp. What are they doing to stop them? Anyone else curious about this? Maybe rather than spending funds on lawsuits and taking legal action, they should be checking their back door. I agree the carp need to be stopped, but so do other invasive species. Don't put any of them on the back burner. What do you think?

I agree NO FELT BOOTS!!! but lets get more into this. Is there a product out there that can wash my waders when i exit that water? can we brush our waders off with a nylon bristle brush? bleach will ruin them.

That's a good question. The first thing that comes to my mind are "wipes". Is there a wipe (the small sheets like Baby Wipes) out there that could possibly work? There are dozens of wipes on the market

for all kinds of surfaces and materials. I have to wonder if taking a sheet of one of these and running it over wet waders would do the trick.

That's a good question. The first thing that comes to my mind are "wipes". Is there a wipe (the small sheets like Baby Wipes) out there that could possibly work? There are dozens of wipes on the market

for all kinds of surfaces and materials. I have to wonder if taking a sheet of one of these and running it over wet waders would do the trick.

You might be on to something, Terry.

"Help Wipe Out Invasives!"

I was reading some article last week about this--one of the Western States wants you to have a bucket and some bleach to make a solution strong enough to kill any organism that might be in the felt soles of your waders.Just dunk each boot in the bucket for a few mins.between streams.