Concerned

There is some construction happening along a stretch of water that I have fished for years.

I don't like it one bit at all. This stretch I believe is on private property but I have to wonder if

the work that is being done is harmful. The banks along this stretch have always been natural

and as you can see that has now changed.

Being a new member I ask you, my fellow members, should I be concerned about this and if so

what steps should I take now?

There is some construction happening along a stretch of water that I have fished for years.

I don't like it one bit at all. This stretch I believe is on private property but I have to wonder if

the work that is being done is harmful. The banks along this stretch have always been natural

and as you can see that has now changed.

Being a new member I ask you, my fellow members, should I be concerned about this and if so

what steps should I take now?

[/quote

Terry

Your pics are sized so small it's hard to see what that is stacked up along the bank.If it's rock it was probably put there to stabilize the bank to prevent erosion,a good thing to do.

Well thanks for the input. It sounds as if there is no need for me to be overly concerned at this point.

Never hurts to ask for others opinions. I'll post updated pics once the weather warms up. It's kind of

a hike to reach this area and I don't really want to try it until we melt about 8" of snow. unsure.gif

Terry,

I know exactly where you're talking about. It does look ugly compared to the past looking upstream from the tressel bridge. It does look like the construction company did thier due dilligance. Silt fences along with rock to stabalize the bank. New rock typically is not good for holding fish. As the rock ages and covers with algea it will attract crayfish which will attract smallmouth.

There was similar work done on the north branch of the Kish west of Distillery Rd when those new subdivions went up. The area of the bank that they reinforced with rock does hold some fish. Maybe it held more fish before, its hard to say. Man made structure in rivers do hold smallmouth bass.

All of this construction will affect our rivers. We can only hope they use good practices and minimize the impacts.

Hey, Terry... Sorry for the slow response, but my computer guy has had my computer for nearly a month now. I had to borrow a laptop to try to get caught up. Anyway, the project was a 36" sanitary sewer trunk line. Like Paul said, all of the proper erosion control, including silt fencing, rip-rap, erosion control blankets, etc. were used to keep the creek as safe as possible. The project started at the RRWRD lift station on Falcon Rd and covered about 3 miles, to Lindenwood Rd near the landfill. The ultimate goal is to develop land near Baxter Rd and I-39 after the next phase of the trunk reaches that far east. I will take a look at the depth of the crossing and if there is an issue, add it to the punchlist.

As for habitat, rip-rap is my favorite target when chasing smallies. There are several river crossings that we have reinforced with rip rap that are some of my favorite spots.

Terry,

As Paul stated the area near Distillery was really an eyesoar when i first saw it and i as well questioned if it was done right in the beggining. You did he right thing by bringing it to attention. As stewards of our home waters always question something.

Im back in the area now(had moved to NC for a few years) it would be nice to get some Northwest guys together soon for coffee, it seems there's a lot going on riverwise in our area.Maybe a few of us ould find a conservation meeting in the near future to sit in on and get us all up to speed.

Kevin

Hey Gregg...

It's a general "this is what I make" meeting. I'm going to tie some clousers, I think Rich is going to make some jigs. If anyone out there makes any other kind of fishing stuff, please come show us!