Mad City Fly Shops?

Terry Dodge

Anyone happen to know the address of any nice little fly shops in the Madison, WI. area?

I have to go up that way to the VA Hospital every couple months and just figure I should

try and find a nice little shop, as the Rockford area don't seem to have any that I know of.

If I have to drive up there I may as well try and get some enjoyment out of it.

I always stop in at Fontana Sports when heading to the driftless area. It used to be a "nice little fly shop," but recently moved to a larger location that I haven't been in yet. I was promised by Craig, the resident fly fishing expert, that it would be much bigger & better, with a lot more fly tying materials that they desperately needed. They are now located in the former Cosco store, just west of Rt. 12 on Mineral Point Road. The actual address is 231 Junction Rd. When you get there look for Craig Amacker. Great guy and really knows his stuff. He also guides the driftless area and knows all the streams intimately.

Go here: http://www.fontanasports.com/about.cfm

There is also an Orvis company store just north of there in the Greenway Station shopping center. I don't go in there too much since I'm really not much of an Orvis fan, but occassionally have to if Craig doesn't have what I need. With the bigger Fontana store, hopefully I'll be in the Orvis store even less!

Brian

In addition to checking out the fly shops around Madison, you should check out the fly fishing around Madison. Black Earth Creek is not far from Madison, and there are other trout streams within two hours of Madison. The Sand Country streams in Waushara and Marquette counties which are north of Madison are challenging, but beautiful small streams that hold plenty of nice trout.