Lefty Sez

Mike G

Though I used to say,”Buck sez,” I may sing a different tune this year. Santa brought me Lefty Kreh’s book, Fly Fishing for Bass, Smallmouth, Largemouth, and Exotics. I have read it cover to cover twice now.

Needless to say, I like the book. First I do not think there is a better authority on the subject among the living. Next it is a perfect match for my style of fishing, both Smallmouths and Largemouths being my favorite targets. Finally, there is Lefty’s no nonsense style. The best way to show that is with a sample.

“Fish Larger than 12 Inches

“Some of the same flies that appeal to smallmouths of less than 12 inches will take larger bass. Such patterns must be tied much bigger, of course. Remember, while it’s true that elephants eat peanuts, they don’t make a living off them. If you fish with small flies you will catch mostly small bass. Bigger bass are caught most of the time on larger flies. This is h a hard lesson to learn, but it’s an important fact that bears repeating: If you want to catch bigger bass, fish with larger flies.

“Having said that let me suggest that when you are trying for smallmouth bass (and largemouth bass, too) that exceed a foot in length, most underwater flies should be at least 3-1/2 inches long, and many times flies from 4 to 5-1/2 inches will appeal to bass whose weight exceeds say, two pounds. Consider that a Rapala plug or a seven-inch plastic worm is eagerly attacked by biggers mallmouths. So a four-inch fly isn’t really a large one. Yet, there is a tendency for many bass fly fishermen to fish underwater with smaller patterns ranging from 1-3/4 to 2-1/2-inches long. And they wonder why they catch so few big fish!” (Page 44)

I hope this wets your appetite. You have to read the book to find out why Lefty does not include surface flies under the big fly rule. What is his take on other gear? What about weedless flies? It is a great book that warms up the sub-zero nights we have been having.

I'll have to pick up Leftys book and compare it to Holshlogs Bible, sounds like a good read considering the weather.

Though I respect St. Tim as one of the founding fathers of SMA, I have to admit that I never got to his treatis on Fly Fishing for Smallmouths. His first efffort on general River and Stream fishing for Smallmoutbs was on the dry side for me. So I never got interested in the second one on fly fishing. I would like to hear what your take on St. Tim is.

Guest airbornemike

Though I respect St. Tim as one of the founding fathers of SMA, I have to admit that I never got to his treatis on Fly Fishing for Smallmouths. His first efffort on general River and Stream fishing for Smallmoutbs was on the dry side for me. So I never got interested in the second one on fly fishing. I would like to hear what your take on St. Tim is.

Mike for the last two seasons I put into practice a large pecentage of "Saint Tims" methods, tactics and patterns on our local streams and low and behold they did work. Not everything worked like magic, because as all of us SMB stream fisherman know the variables are endless, but I go back to his book as a refrence time and again when I encounter different on stream problems. As far as dry, what I got from speaking to the man and reading his book is that he's a no frills, no nonsense angler and tyer, so maybe that's were the "dryness" comes in.

I notice you mention the "Buck Sez" phrase, I found some of Perry's spoon pluggers and his fishing style much the same as I find Holschlag. My take was that Tim dosen't seem to beleive in fancy gear and special flys, but mostly fish behavior, time on the water and solid angling techniques.

Mike for the last two seasons I put into practice a large pecentage of "Saint Tims" methods, tactics and patterns on our local streams and low and behold they did work. Not everything worked like magic, because as all of us SMB stream fisherman know the variables are endless, but I go back to his book as a refrence time and again when I encounter different on stream problems. As far as dry, what I got from speaking to the man and reading his book is that he's a no frills, no nonsense angler and tyer, so maybe that's were the "dryness" comes in.

I notice you mention the "Buck Sez" phrase, I found some of Perry's spoon pluggers and his fishing style much the same as I find Holschlag. My take was that Tim dosen't seem to beleive in fancy gear and special flys, but mostly fish behavior, time on the water and solid angling techniques.

Did you read his first book?