Any interest in a downstate or central IL fly tyer's night out?

Rob G

• 3 weeks later...

Rich has been so kind as to send down some significant amount of large Bohemian chenille and instructions for tying the ISA Bug and worms. He also sent a few samples of others "flies" that can be created with this material. Looking forward to playing with it.

O.K. I'm interested in any ISA Bug and Worms with chenille,bohemian or otherwise, but is there any other decision as to what we are doing as far as materials, etc? It's hard to believe we are into January, and the 17th isn't that far off!

I'd like to share a crayfish recipe I've made at the tie-in. I'mnot sure that I can sport all materials for everyone, but its made with common stuff like chenille, swiss straw, streamer hooks, and dumbell eyes so I'll be we can all make some. I've aso got a hellgramite pattern I really like.

My main go-to fly has been a white or rootbeer colored krystal bugger. Pretty boring I know, but can bring enough material to tie 4-5 of each. I'm interested in the crayfish flies and hairy fodder. Not really looking to tie one there, just want to watch someone tie one for instructional purposes.

Brian

O.K. I'm interested in any ISA Bug and Worms with chenille,bohemian or otherwise, but is there any other decision as to what we are doing as far as materials, etc? It's hard to believe we are into January, and the 17th isn't that far off!

Fredmo,

I've tried not to focus on any one type of fly or topic and have tried to leave this first tying session pretty much open. I think you should bring whatever materials you would like in order to tie what you feel you can enlighten the group with. The other goal might be to bring materials in which we could tie flies for donation to the Blowout and/or new member packs. I'm hoping this works OK for most.

I think I might show up as well...only ten minutes from my house, after all. How much materials do I need to bring?

Might I suggest Crane Alley for afterwards...enormous selection of brews. And the food's pretty good as well. Just a block away from the library.

Steve

I don't know, the way the weather is warming up, we may all wish we were out fishing on Sunday, instead of inside a library. Actually, they way things are shaping up, it sure looks like a great afternoon! And concluding with brew and good food ain't bad either.

Just wanted to thank everyone that came out for the first downstate central Illinois fly tying gathering. We had 11 people show up and had a great time displaying some new patterns and techniques and were able to donate a few flies to the cause. Afterwards many of the group headed to a nearby watering hole that served a great sandwich and countless types of lager. Look forward to doing it again possibly in February at a likely location of Normal, Heyworth, or Urbana. The format will be decided later on. Hope to see everyone there.

Let's see, several types of buggers, those on steroids similar to Holschlag's and other more standard variations. It was nice to see the Bohemian chenille being tied in a several different styles by John, Jim and Fred. Thanks again Rich for the samples and instructions you sent down. Of course Tim was tying some incredibly realistic large mayfly patterns that would catch any fish any where (too beautiful to actually use imo). Steve was spinning deer hair and cutting up a rabbit pelt in order to produce a nice olive fishgetter. Ben was recycling road kill squirrel in the best possible way with his craws. Overall the three hours went by very quickly.