Winter Fishing Destinations?

chrisserafin

Where do you suggest  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Where is your favorite winter fishing getaway?

• Out west
    • Florida
    • Gulf states
    • I get drunk for 4 months until fishing comes back around here

I'm starting to plan a long weekend in Feb/March to travel down south for some warmer fishing opportunities, and I'm wondering if anyone has some suggestions. I'm thinking of traveling/driving to some places directly south of us. Species agnostic.

there are other choices. arkansas and southern missouri for example and southern illinois,kentucky and tennesee. these are my choices unless someone wants to guest me to christmas island for a little bone fishing. timothy

Hi Tim!

Glad to have you in the mix!

Tim & I have known each other for quite a few years.

I'll be happy to pal along on the Christmas Island trip, but we'll need to find a "sugar daddy" to pay for it!

Hmmm, I've got an 8-weight, but should probably pick up a 9 just in case. A shopportunity!!! :lol:

I've got a step-daughter in Miami so that would be a great winter getaway for bones, permit, snook. Just need a

way to pay for air-fare & rental car.....

Brian

No need to go all the way to xmas island for bonefish.Andros Island in the Bahamas just off Florida offers good #s of bones with an average size better than anywhere else.If you want a shot at tarpon & permit as well as bones the flats off Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula.Back in the 90's I fished both places.Paradise Lodge where I stayed on the Mexico trip was destroyed by a hurricane a cupl years ago.To celebrate reopening next year it's offering a substantial rate discount.Anyone interested should contact The Fly Shop in California, their exclusive booking agent.

For variety and cost, it's hard to beat Florida. Inexpensive to get to and no Montezuma's Revenge to deal with. It can be as simple as surf casting, renting a kayak and fishing the flats, or taking a guided trip with Steve Gibson to the Everglades for exotics. Anywhere warm sounds great right now. Whoever goes, please post pics.

Thanks, RonG

I haven't winterized my boat in five years now. Winter is striper season down here. Nothing like a full blitz of twenty pound fish on the surface to warm you up, not to mention those four to six pound spots that tag along with them. Going out this weekend to see how well float and fly works on them.

I haven't winterized my boat in five years now. Winter is striper season down here. Nothing like a full blitz of twenty pound fish on the surface to warm you up, not to mention those four to six pound spots that tag along with them. Going out this weekend to see how well float and fly works on them.

Craig

How about favoring us with a report? With pics.

I would love to give you a report of how I've been tearing them up down here but the truth is I've been sick all of November and had to scratch the two big fishing trips I had planned. I have to be pretty sick for it to stop me from fishing. All I want from Santa is to feel better. Hopefully I can give you a report that will make you sick that you're not down here soon. I hear that the spots and stripers are chasing bait back in the coves right now (of course 'cause I'm not there.)