Fly for FnF?

ryne

I was thinking about tying up some flies for the FnF. I saw John G had tied up a few, i have a few questions. Did you use bucktail or craft fur? An is it better to have a thicker body or a more streamline? I only have bucktail at my disposal for now. Also, what is the best size head to use? Right now im playing around an tying bucktail on a round head, i know i should use a fish head imitation but im just playing around now an dont have any fish head jigs at the moment. I have never FnF fished before so hopefully i can tie a few flies up an hit the local stream to test it out.

Guest rich mc

Jonn Graham is the Illinois Master FNF angler.He talked on the FNF tactic at the Shabbona Seminar Saturday.He does use craft hair from punisher jigs. i'll let him respond on the jig and hooks. rich

Ryne:

Craft hair and bucktail are night and day different in composition and movement in the water. If you are doing float n fly jigs, you really should get ahold of some craft hair. Deer hair is much too stiff. Craft hair upon getting wet just fluffs in the water and the tiny fibers are constantly moving ever so slightly. It is these fine movements when drifted by a winter smallie that rings their dinner bell. You can order through fly shops or through www.punisherlures.com. It is not very expensive and a couple of colors will allow you tye plenty. About the only other hair that I have found works almost as good as craft hair is Arctic Fox tail.

Now when it comes to jigheads, the big key is you need a jighead that will allow the whole fly to sit horizontally in the water under the float. The "minnow head" jig works great with its 90 degree angle hook-eye. Of course, we pour our own, but you can find jigheads just like ours on the net. I like to fish with a jig no heavier than 1/16 oz. Many times I fish with ones lighter than that.

Any other questions..........just holler.

well, i went onto punisherlures.com an spent $25. I got 40 jig heads an several craft fur colors. I couldnt believe how cheap everything was. I was gonna get all the stuff off of Bass Pro but there prices were 3 times as much. All i have to do now is get my material an start tying. Then the easy part, go fishing. Thanks again John

I tie my floatn' flies with craft fur, which has great action even when the jig is sitting still. That subtle action when the fly is motionless is what makes the technique work. Bucktail is way too stiff. I don't use jigs for mine. I use #2 to 1/0 jig hooks tied with whatever weight lead eyes that I want to use. Lighter weights are better if the current and depths allow you to do so.

I was looking for something else at the BASS site, and found this:

http://sports.espn.g...reFloatandFlyQA

Seems the author is a Punisher rep as well.

I like Jonn's tactic for a little subtle action, as opposed to the article's suggestion.....

But hey, I struck out my first few attempts with the FnF!

:P