Your favorite rod an reel?

ryne

I was just wondering what everyones favorite rod an reel combo is. Mine is without a doubt my Pro Lite Finesse 7" rod matched with the Pro Lite baitcaster. I have it rigged with 20lb power pro an i throw everything from weightless senkos, to carolina rigs. I had this combo lined with 10lb mono an it landed a 38 inch musky for me in wisconsin in September.

I had a custom made 7 foot Rouge rod made for me about 5 years ago that I paired with a Quantum Energy reel. The rod is only about 6' 8" long now as I have broken the tip twice. I liked it so much, I had a second one made that thankfully is still 7 feet long. The Quantum reel still works like it did the day I bought it.

6'9 Medium Heavy Quantum Superlite PT (casting), Abu Garcia Revo 6.3 STX, 14lb XPS Fluorocarbon.

I absolutely love this rod! I use it for lippless crankbaits, spinnerbaits, flipping and pitched heavy cover, and for throwing 7in senkos.

6'9 Medium Heavy Quantum Superlite PT (casting), Abu Garcia Revo 6.3 STX, 14lb XPS Fluorocarbon.

I absolutely love this rod! I use it for lippless crankbaits, spinnerbaits, flipping and pitched heavy cover, and for throwing 7in senkos.

How do you like the XPS fluorocarbon on your baitcaster? I tried Berkley Vanish on my baitcaster an took it off after one outing. I now use it as a leader for carolina rigs an it works perfectly. It just seemed to never sit tight on the spool, seemed to just fly off, it made for a frustrating experience. I have only tried the Vanish fluoro, so i was wondering about other brands.

How do you like the XPS fluorocarbon on your baitcaster? I tried Berkley Vanish on my baitcaster an took it off after one outing. I now use it as a leader for carolina rigs an it works perfectly. It just seemed to never sit tight on the spool, seemed to just fly off, it made for a frustrating experience. I have only tried the Vanish fluoro, so i was wondering about other brands.

ryne,

First of all, your absolutely right about Berkley Vanish. I had the same experience with it when it first came out. I use both XPS and P-Line fluorocarbon line with much better success. The XPS line is a little more forgiving in terms of stiffness as compared to the Berkley products. But the main reason I have switched to XPS is that it is a little cheaper in price and this was a experimental year for me with fluorocarbon line.

I use it on my crankbait rod (10#) and use it for all my leader line when using braid (20#) and lindy/splitshot rigging (8#). You would not believe the difference this makes. I have out-fished my partners 5:1 vs. mono. I plan on doing more with fluorocarbon next year doing a 60/40 split between the mono and fluoro on most of my setups. This also helps from spooling out of the reel. Hope this helps!

• 4 weeks later...

I don't have a favorite. But one thing that few people pay attention to is the length of the rear grip and where the real seat is. the overall length of the rod is kind of meaningless. It's the distance from the reel seat to the tip. because that is where you are going to hold it, at the pivot point. Rods with long rear grips bug me when I'm working topwaters and rapalas and I have found long grips to be pretty unnecesary for balancing a rod (since today they weigh nothing). Long grips are nice whewn float fishing or drifting but if you are doing a lot of casting, I found they just get in the way.

That said, short rear grips are hard to find.

Loomis 6 foot spinning rods have very short butt sections, St Croix avids and tournament rods are long but getting shorter. There is also the option of taking a hacksaw to the grip. I am going to have Coren's hack off about 3" off a 6 1/2 foot Loomis. An insanely expensive rod, that otherwise is nirvana. So it will be a semi custom rod.

i wanted a 7' mh spinning, couldn't find one in town, didn't want to get one online (want to see/feel it before buying it).had a lightning rod 7' mh casting rod i didn't use. cut 3" off handle, sanded it smooth and put a rubber chair leg cap on it. took the first 2 guides off (casting rod guides too small) and put larger guides on homemade style, nothing professional by any means but they are strong and work fine..filed the "trigger" off the handle and i had my 7' mh spinning rod...works good for crankin' and spinnerbatin'.

I think I really like long rod butts on a spinning rod. It allows me to really leverage the rod's flexibilty into casts I can launch. Hands apart by a foot seem to generate more casting power and control over the rod than closer together.

I like that butt jammed into my leg or stomach when I need to hoist a big fish out of the heavy stuff. Basically, it's like an extra hand at times.

Lol, that sounded dirty.

I use a 6'9" MLXF St.Croix Avid for everything.

I like higher gear ratio spinning reels for all the topwater work, and catching up to those downstream chargers quick. 6:1 or better, so that's Pflueger Supreme, or Shimano Saros. Line is Power Pro 15/4 for Summer (casts further throwing topwaters. 20/6 when water is up and I'm jigging or cranking.

8lbs mono for the FnF Winter stuff.