Any Opinions on wading boot soles

mattyvac

Just wondering what everyone's experience is with different sole materials, and if there's a standout that is best for what we do.

Thanks,

Matt

I've had several different pairs. My first pair had felt bottoms. I wouldn't recommend because the felt gets gummed up with mud from the banks and doesn't give you good traction when walking the shoreline. Next pair were Simms aquastealth studded guide boots. The studs are not the screw in type instead the come built into the sole from the factory. Far and away the best sole I've used. The boot held up for about 2 seasons with great traction in a lot of different conditions. Next pair Chota with rubber sole and screw in studs. Sole and studs worked but the boot lasted me one season. The sole just came completely detached from the upper. There lacing system also leaves something to be desired. Halfway through this year I bought another pair of Simms with just a plain rubber sole. Good but not great. In my opinion for fishing around here the Simms w/rubber and factory carbide studded soles is the way to go.

just my 2 lincolns: my waders have the sock feet, i went to walmart, got the ozark trail hiking boot (very light) 1 size bigger than i usually wear. work great for me, got them 2 years ago and still going strong, dry them out and use them for yard work also...by the way..........they only cost 20 bucks..

I've had several different pairs. My first pair had felt bottoms. I wouldn't recommend because the felt gets gummed up with mud from the banks and doesn't give you good traction when walking the shoreline. Next pair were Simms aquastealth studded guide boots. The studs are not the screw in type instead the come built into the sole from the factory. Far and away the best sole I've used. The boot held up for about 2 seasons with great traction in a lot of different conditions. Next pair Chota with rubber sole and screw in studs. Sole and studs worked but the boot lasted me one season. The sole just came completely detached from the upper. There lacing system also leaves something to be desired. Halfway through this year I bought another pair of Simms with just a plain rubber sole. Good but not great. In my opinion for fishing around here the Simms w/rubber and factory carbide studded soles is the way to go.

The same thing happened with the Chotas I had.They're a waste of money.I now have Cabelas Guide with studded felt soles.They're a little heavy but the added weight is not noticable in use & makes for both a durable & supportive boot.

The same thing happened with the Chotas I had.They're a waste of money.I now have Cabelas Guide with studded felt soles.They're a little heavy but the added weight is not noticable in use & makes for both a durable & supportive boot.

I have had two pairs of Chota STL's do that. One was covered under the one year warranty and replaced for free. Mike C had the exact same problem. Customer service guy acted like he had never heard of the stitching failing and the sole splitting from the boot. Yeah, right.

I like the screw in nature of the screws, as a full set of studs is often too loud.

Looking for something new myself.

LL Bean just replaced my West Branch Aquastealth soled wading boots with a new pair after mine wore out after four years of use. The Aquastealth soles have worked fine for me in midwest rivers including slick boulder rivers like the Menominee and upper Wisconsin rivers in northern Wisconsin. The new pair has siped soles so they might even be a bit better. For ninety dollars these boots provide excellent value and good ankle support. The new Simms Vibram soled boots probably provide better traction, but they cost twice as much money and are not necessary if you are fishing in Illinois.

My link

I put 250 days or so on my boots in a typical year, I rarely have a pair last more than a year. Lots of hiking, wading in a very rocky river, use in all types of weather and the fact that they are rarely if ever completely dry take a toll on them. I've used low end to upper mid range priced boots and the result is always the same, they fall apart in a year.

I have not been able to justify to my self paying top dollar for boots that I suspect won't stay together long enough to justify the price difference. Maybe get 2 years for $200 plus for 1 pair of boots or get 4 pair of $50 dollar boots and get 4 years out of the deal.

Any of you guys find a boot that holds up to the amount of wear I put on boots, please let me know.

To answer the original question I gave up on felt years ago, never got close to a 1/2 year before I was regluing or replacing the felt. Besides when trying to negotiate the clay banks I climb up in wet felt boots it was like 1 step up and 2 back. I've done jug soles because that's what is primarily offered in the price range I buy in and they work in my river.

The new vibram soles intrigue but once again the issue would be durability vs. price.

BTW, I go thru a pair of stocking foot breathable waders a year as well.

As far as warranties go, I fish too much to wait for replacements to show up, so they pretty much are useless to me.

Cabela's has a lifetime warranty on Cabela's brand clothing and foot ware which includes waders and wading boots. If the products show a lot of wear, they won't give you full price, but if they are in good condition, you'll get 100% that you paid with a receipt. Without a receipt, you'll get what they may have been on sale for.

I took back a pair of 5 year old waders that had some seam leaks and got full credit.