Happy 4th Monday

coryg

One More Cast was the place to be last night, as ISA member and fly tieing innovator, Bob Davenport, showed a packed house a new use for cross-cut rabbit strips and foam. Bob taught a mouse pattern designed to be fished in fast water channels for smallies and browns. It sits low in the water, "drowns" as it gets saturated with water, and then KABOOM - fish on! It's not a difficult tie and it taught about tieing cross-cut rabbit strips in the proper direction, about correct thread pressure, and about how to handle round rubber legs. Good job, Bob!

We had 14 people attending with 6 of the 14 being there for the 1st time. One new attendee, Pete M, came just to observe, but we soon had him sitting at a vise and Pete now has 2 new self-tied flies to add to his fly box and still has all his fingers! A big welcome to Mike A., Jim J., Joe A, Mark S., Pete M., and Dave T. and thanks for coming out and adding to the fun. Also, a big shout out to Joseph Meyer and our thanks for opening his shop on a Monday nite for our group.

I will try to pull togther written instructions for tieing Bob's Mouse pattern to hand out at our next meeting.

Speaking of which, our next meeting will be on Nov. 16th, the 3rd Monday in November (instead of the 4th Monday which is in Thanksgiving week). The meeting will be at One More Cast - 6pm setup - 6:30pm tieing. A "fly" pattern for the next meeting has not been decided upon yet and we are open to suggestions.

PS) The 'bend back' fly which Harry Blessing refered to in his article in the Bronzeback Bulletin is actually called "Barb's Fly". It was designed by Bob Davenport and is named for his wife, Barbara (even though it doesn't look anything like her). Hmmmmm - This may be a future 4th Monday pattern.

Any chance that those of us downstate, too far to make the evening sessions, could get a copy of the instructions for the "Mouse" that you are going to distribute to those in attendance? I'd be glad to provide an email address.

Fred

Hi Fredmo,

Yes, as soon as I get it pulled together.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get the Central region more regularly involved in ISA sponsored fly tieing. What do you (and others) think about a Central region "Flies of the ISA" day or a "Deer Hair" fly tieing day? I'm sure we could get some Chicagoland ISA fly-tiers to take a road trip to collaborate on a joint fly tieing day.

Hi Fredmo,

Yes, as soon as I get it pulled together.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get the Central region more regularly involved in ISA sponsored fly tieing. What do you (and others) think about a Central region "Flies of the ISA" day or a "Deer Hair" fly tieing day? I'm sure we could get some Chicagoland ISA fly-tiers to take a road trip to collaborate on a joint fly tieing day.

I'm pretty sure we could get a group together. We've done it before, and now that Jonn Graham has come over from the dark side, we have even more support for it. JimZ teaches tying and has been a part of meetings like that. This past winter we had a meeting in Heyworth and tied some. When you look around guys come out of the woodwork with a vice in hand....or is it vise? Or both?

Big problem down here is finding a source of materials. Nothing like Joseph's shop around here that I know of, especially since Tom Yokum closed up in Springfield. Gander Mountain in Peoria is as close as we come.