Water temps

Paul Trybul

I haven't been fishing very much since the cold snap hit. I know things have changed a lot over the past 2 weeks. I was wondering if anyone has been on any rivers lately and took a temperature reading. If you could name the river along with the temp that would be great. I'm going to be restocking my wading vest here soon. Out with craw imitators and in with the swim jigs, suspending jerbaits, float & flies, and gulp minnows. Water temp is going to play a big roll on the feeding habits now.

I stopped very briefly late Monday where I did okay in the spring out by your area and while I didn't take a temp I'd have to say high 40's / low 50's. This is only based on touching the lure to get off leaves/grass. That's not very scientific but it wasn't warm water and it wasn't super cold either. Clear, low and cool were my observations.

hey paul how you been? I have been out a couple times with the blue bath tub on the rock. once above the oregon dam water temp coldest 48.3 warmest 50.7. Had 1 bite, big bite under some laydowns. 2seconds of pull &twink 6pound test was no match. 4 cold hours no fish. 6-13-09, went north of byron. water temps = coldest 47.4 warmest 51.0 after sun warmed up laydowns. worked laydowns for around 5 1/2 hours. 3 smallies biggest15 inch 1-18inch drum. all caught on plastic worm worked slow. went down to one of my other holes down river 4hours =no fish. Rest of year i will only fish above oregon dam, no fish below. if anyone has proof otherwise, please let me know. I sure miss the days when you caught fish on the rock. You wouldnt know what you were catching per cast smallie, wally, pike, cat, drum, largemouth, gar.

I'm doing pretty good. I haven't got out much lately. This time of year I like to take my boat out on the Rock. I can't since the truck I have access to has a break in the break line. Those water temps seem way too low for early to mid October. Temps in the 40's usually means you need minnows to get a consistant bite. Smaller rivers like the Kish and Pine creek are probably mid to low 40's

I did fish below the oregon dam in early August. We did good for channel cats and caught some smallies and a walleye around the dam. The fishing seemed to get worse the farther downstream we went. The usual good spots around Castle Rock were super slow. That cool rock out outcrop with the eagle nest produced 1 smallie and 1 white bass and we worked it hard. Kyte produced only 1 dink. There are still fish there just not in the numbers that we were used to.

it has been rough fishing on the rock. we fished above byron last week couple nice smallies (survivors). last time I launched out of castle rock we fished for 8 hours. 2 fish were caught in the river.2 that was it. in the past that long of a day, your fingers would be sore from lipping fish. 1 fish below the eagles nest, where you used catch a dozen .Im gonna quit fishing the creeks & rivers that flow into the rock, leave the survivors alone. Im starting to fish shabbona more & more. its gonna take 20 years for the rock to come back.:( have you heard anything about extra stocking? Last year this time we were into the fish. big walleye big smallies. you couldnt get me off the water.

Water temps vary a lot in spring/fall. A week or so ago during the bad cold spell the Fox' temp was 50.After just a cupl warm days it was 58 on the Dupe.Dinks were rising to a sparse hatch of tiny size 22 midges.Fished a bluegill pattern among them hoping there might be a few big ones lurking around but only caught dinks.That slimy coldwater algae is coming on strong.

We were perhaps in the low 40's in central Indiana. Surprised and happy how the pattern changed. I targetted wintering holes and riffles since the water was so slow. Paid off in another 20"er. Just can't string together the big days of multiple 16"+ fish like in the past. Almost all bass have been 13" or bigger.

Keep trying different things and sampling different watersheds.