Glue To Strengthen Knots?

mattyvac

I wanted to check a claim by some that glue could be used to fortify knot strength in the right situations. So, I asked the customer service folks at Berkley. Here is the entire text, starting with my question....

Dear Berkley,

Someone told me to reinforce my knots with Crazy Glue. I use Fireline and some mono/fluoro lines. Is it a good idea to use glue on my knots? What glue can I use, and which line is OK to glue? I use Palomar Knots for most knots. I also use a uni-knot type snell for most live bait presentations, because the knot is on the hook shank, and it's hard to see the knot. This is the knot that is most likely to fail, and it's one knot that I think might benefit most from using glue to strengthen them.

Thanks for your help.

Matt

Their Reply.....

Dear Matt,

You can use super glue or anglers super glue on your knots with superlines, mono or fluorocarbon lines without harming the line.

The recommended knot for superlines is a Palomar knot for your lure and a uni-to uni knot is what we recommend to connect two lines.

For mono and FC line we recommend the Trilene knot for your lure.

regards,

Customer Service Representative

Matt,

I have used glue at times, though I can't say I noticed any difference. A good knot should hold. Though, if you want "belt and suspenders" security, glue makes sense. I do not think glue can strenthen a knot in terms of pound test; it keeps it from slipping. You don't want to loose a big one.

I have used Fireline, Power Pro and all the superlines since they first came out. Knot strength has never been an issue, in fact to the contrary when you get into the heavier stuff- 14lb and up breaking off when you need to can be a problem.

the fumes from super glue can also "frost" everything in your tackle box. I'd leave it home. just another thing to make life more complicated than it needs to be.

Use a Palomar knot make sure you pull both ends and snug them down good, then fuggedaboudit.

I have used Fireline, Power Pro and all the superlines since they first came out. Knot strength has never been an issue, in fact to the contrary when you get into the heavier stuff- 14lb and up breaking off when you need to can be a problem.

the fumes from super glue can also "frost" everything in your tackle box. I'd leave it home. just another thing to make life more complicated than it needs to be.

Use a Palomar knot make sure you pull both ends and snug them down good, then fuggedaboudit.

i would have to agree, i use power pro for everything and have had no issues with slippage and you can turn over rocks with that stuff..i tie directly to the lure, no leaders.

I just started using superglue on my centerpin rigs. from the mainline to the swivel and the swivel to the leader. on some I've even put it on the leader to the hook. this is on the pre-rigged set ups I bring as extras in case I break off. from what I've seen so far I like it. my mainline is berkley tangerine suffix and I've gone to maxima for a leader. I REALLY like the maxima leaders, they are very strong!! and I need that in the creeks for steelhead and kings. the tangerine suffix in particular resist water and floats alittle better which is what you want on a pin set up.

Joe