No Country For 4wts

ronk

It rained quite a bit at night in my area on 9/20 after I'd had a good day on the Dupe.Figuring it would be higher causing even more weeds to be dislodged and drift on the surface as a nuisance I decided to follow Eric& Mike's urging & headed for the Fox. Being cloudy I put in a long day fishing from 730-11 & from 1230-330 after grabbing lunch at Macdonalds drive thru so I wouldn't have to change out of my waders.Clouds may have gotten into Judy Collins way but to a fisherman they're golden.The fishing was hot thruout the am.I got about 8 dinks & 2 at 18"& 18.5" & missed A 3rd biggie.All pounding the bank with bassbugs.The fishing slowed in the pm with only a cupl more dinks & another big one missed on the strike.As always on the Fox I used my 6wt there being no way the 4 would be able to handle the big bass in that current which even with the river low still had a good push.As I headed home the sun came out.Probably made some golfers happy.Judy too.

What bassbugs were you specifically using?

Got these on a traditional cork concave faced chartreuse lmb size bassbug.I also like sneaky petes for a quieter presentation in low clear water like the Dupe & blockheads.I like chartreuse,yellow,black.Lefty Kreh says any color is ok for smb as long as it's black The last 2 nice bass I got on the Dupe on 9/22 & yesterday were on smaller smb size blockheads.See my post today in Let's Play Two re my thoughts on size.

Not as I recall in the article I read a long time ago.Maybe for streamers?He also favored steadily stripping the bug for stream smb as opposed to pausing it for stillwater lmb.

Yea, maybe it was for streamers. I fish whatever I can easily see; towards the evening I use a white or chartreuse so I can keep my eye on it, especially when they're slurping instead of smashing. I haven't noticed any color preferences for popping bugs yet, though my brother likes black in the evening as well.

Guest airbornemike

I too have come to rely on the blockhead this year. gotta love the sound they make versus other poppers. I have a source for the foam bodies and then all I need to do is glue in the hook and dress the shank of the hook.

John I'm gonna tye some Blockheads up this winter after buying them from Holschlag the past two seasons, I'm guessing he makes them with a small jig saw or little table sander. I only found this source for foam blocks http://www.jvlnet.com/~swinters/products.html his cutters look cool too, If you have a better source please share.