McDowell Dam; what was the point?

I went to the McDowell Forest Preserve on my way home today. I saw that the old "McDowell" dam was taken out but they replaced it with a new one upstream.

My question is, what was the point of taking out the old one and then putting in a new one?

I thought the dam was supposed to be removed. The new one is holding back a lot of debris and there is NO way for fish to migrate at all.

What's the point of all our efforts when the "Man" is going to do what they want anyway. There were a lot of people working and looking forward to the removal....not the replacement! I thought our voice was heard but apparantly not. Any thoughts on this? Where did we go wrong?

did a quick search after I read your post...came up with this

McDowell Grove Dam Modification

it stated that it's supposed to be "temporary" pending the sediment clean-up

That's what I heard also. That barrier is part of the sediment removal program and will be gone when the work is done.

Now take a deep breath Jim B and go fishing! ;)

That's what I heard also. That barrier is part of the sediment removal program and will be gone when the work is done.

Now take a deep breath Jim B and go fishing! ;)

PHEW! Thanks for the update! I was getting pretty upset and working myself up. I'm glad to be a part of the ISA... with so many members there's enough people here to know or find the answers.

Sometimes it's good to get worked up.

Having emotion towards a problem is a lot better than most people not caring.

I have been know occasionally to get a little worked up myself.

Of course not any more in my waning years.

Those years showed up some time ago. :rolleyes:

There's likely to be a lot of getting worked up once the army corps of enginners starts screwing with the Dupe to placate those people in Plainfield who bought homes near the river than bitch when they flood.

PHEW! Thanks for the update! I was getting pretty upset and working myself up. I'm glad to be a part of the ISA... with so many members there's enough people here to know or find the answers.

Jim B you may want to stay at a low simmer... Unless someone heard anything different the company that was cleaning up filed for bankruptcy and the clean-up is on hold until that is sorted out which means the dam removal is on hold.

Jim B you may want to stay at a low simmer... Unless someone heard anything different the company that was cleaning up filed for bankruptcy and the clean-up is on hold until that is sorted out which means the dam removal is on hold.

That stinks. In the mean time I guess I'm going to do what I can. I've been hitting the Dupe hard in cleaning up the last couple of weeks...hood of a car was the most recent find. I pulled it to the bank but couldn't get it up over the bank. I emailed the f.preserve guys to get it...I hope they do. I caught 2 rusty crayfish in the process :(

I also donated 10 bucks for the ISA grants...it's not much but something is better than nothing. I couldn't afford more.

I hope to put in a couple hours either sat or Sunday a.m. if you want to help out. 2 hours maybe 3. Start at 7 a.m.

I'm 10 miles from the Fox R. if that's closer....either river needs a lot of work.

I wonder if we are allowed to trap crayfish. The idea is to cull out the rusties. Just like any invasive you can't eradicate them but efforts should be put forth to control them. (Then again, the passenger pigeon was wiped out and people didn't think that was possible.)

I hope to put in a couple hours either sat or Sunday a.m. if you want to help out. 2 hours maybe 3. Start at 7 a.m.

I'm 10 miles from the Fox R. if that's closer....either river needs a lot of work.

Not the best weekend for me. PM me Friday. A lot of me do and honey do already... Sorry... Later in Oct might work better.