Sub-surface Spook

Mike G

....................phish.gif.....About 3.5 in long, 3/8 oz.

Reading about Eric's obsession with the Spook got me to go back to a favorite of mine. As the Minus 1 is sometines called a subsurface buzz bait, this one I call a subsurface spook. I have been catching green and brown bass on it lately using a fairly fast retrieve so the bait breaks the surface once in a while. (One can also work it slow and deep like a Senko.) As you can imagine, it is very good around weeds.

PS Phantom is the only source I know of.

How to rig...

.....................how2a.jpg

.....................how2.jpg

there was another lure made by snagproof called the weed demon that was similar and made for walkin the dog in the slop. there is a new fly being made by umpqua flies called the pole dancer, coming out in several months. its a west coast striper bass fly thatwalks the dog. rich

Oh yeah. The Weed Deamon is still out there, similar shape, hollow body, floater, $4.15 each. Phish Stik sinks $2.95 for 5. It works on top of slop but also will sink and dodge around like a Sluggo. It's a two fer.

seem some at Dick's. these were made by YUM. 4 baits for 6.99.

No cigar for that cigar. The Money Hound is also in the Bass Pro Fall Angler. It is a floater more like the real Spook. And, at $7 for 4, a real rip-off IMHO. I can get 10 of the others for $6.

Rapala Subwalk serves me well for a subsurface walk the dog as well as other subsurface retrieves. It's larger and heavier than the lure shown but I've never been shy about using bigger lures than the average bear.

Rapala Subwalk serves me well for a subsurface walk the dog as well as other subsurface retrieves. It's larger and heavier than the lure shown but I've never been shy about using bigger lures than the average bear.

The difference between this and a 5" fluke is?

The Subwalk has a much more distinctive presence in the water than a fluke, it can push a lot more water very easily. It's heavier and can be cast further than the fluke [further than a Sammy] so you can stay farther away. It's designed to go 2 feet deep and stop.

I like to follow up a topwater bite with the Subwalk as you can get fish that are still looking up but not willing to go all the way to the surface. I also use it to follow up a rattlebait bite that stops, this time looking for fish that are looking up but not willing to take the faster moving rattlebait.

I will also start with the Subwalk when the water clarity is about 1.5 feet or so. In that case I'm looking to find active fish that are using the end of the effective light penetration as an ambush point.

I feel that I can consistently place something that says big fat dumb slow eat me right in the strike zone.

The Subwalk has a much more distinctive presence in the water than a fluke, it can push a lot more water very easily. It's heavier and can be cast further than the fluke [further than a Sammy] so you can stay farther away. It's designed to go 2 feet deep and stop.

I like to follow up a topwater bite with the Subwalk as you can get fish that are still looking up but not willing to go all the way to the surface. I also use it to follow up a rattlebait bite that stops, this time looking for fish that are looking up but not willing to take the faster moving rattlebait.

I will also start with the Subwalk when the water clarity is about 1.5 feet or so. In that case I'm looking to find active fish that are using the end of the effective light penetration as an ambush point.

I feel that I can consistently place something that says big fat dumb slow eat me right in the strike zone.

Sorry Norm, ment to quote the original post, don't know how I hit that button. I bought a couple of subwalks acouple years back, but haven't used them much. Good explanation anyhow.

Brendan,

I'm always willing to try to explain the things I do. Well, at least lures-techniques, some of what I do I'm not sure there is a good explanation for.

The difference between this and a 5" fluke is?

So are you asking about the Phish Stik? The baits are similar soft plastics whose action is determined by the angler. The difference is in the shape especially the tail. Like the Sluggo the Stik has no tail. This allows the bait to wander more side to side like an arrow without fletching. That is walking the dog. This is basic sluggo theory. The fluke action is straighter because of the tail's drag. The Stik has a more generic shape like a tube bait-could be a fish, could be a craw. The fluke says fish. Any day one could be better than the other. Depends.

Here's food for thought. A while back Berkley did some research on Bass in a tank. They used a soft plastic craw bait in the test removing apendages as they went along. Bass hit the full craw, but preferred ones with the claws removed. They preferred one with the claws and legs removed even more. Do we wonder why the Stik and tube baits work? Here's the corker. The craw head without claws, legs, and tail got the most hits. Moral? Fish want an easy meal?

Guest airbornemike

there was another lure made by snagproof called the weed demon that was similar and made for walkin the dog in the slop. there is a new fly being made by umpqua flies called the pole dancer, coming out in several months. its a west coast striper bass fly thatwalks the dog. rich

Rich post us up a pic if you find one, I did a search and found Charlies airhead creations but no "pole dancer".