fox outing this sunday 9/6 -FOLLOWUP

Event Date: 06-September 09 8:00 (Single Day Event)

This outing will be a float or wade outing. There are plenty of areas to wade fish at the starting and finish locations. Bring your own watercraft to this outing. If you have an extra canoe or kayak please let me know in advance! We will meet on the west side CHANGE LOCATION - in Oswego at Hudson crossing park at 8 AM. From there we will float and fish either 3.5 miles to Hudson Crossing park or 6.5 miles to Saw Wee Kee park. (where we will park enough vehicles in advance) Both parks offer excellent take out points for your watercraft.

I've floated this stretch many times. It offers a variety of structure, many islands, some solitude and usually some darn good fishing.

Hope to see you there!

Anyone in please post. I plan to wade fish but will help shuttle or stage cars for those who want to float. I suggest we meet at Oswego if wade fishing only - its in the middle of this stretch. John

Seven of us wade fished the downtown Oswego area with mixed results. Three of five flinging flies blanked (including me) Stan had a few,did not see Ron K & RonG did well with spinning & plastics. Overcast, water 65 degrees, moderate flow 12" + visibility. Looks & feels like fall the next 3 weeks should be prime. Time to take advantage of it!

I fished both surface/subsurface for 3hrs. The closest I came to a fish was when one short striked a bassbug.Typical of the poor flyfishing I've had all summer for smb after having a decent Spring.Until this year I've always done ok fishing midday for smb with no need to resort to being out at sunrise/sunset.But this year it's either that or take up golf.

I fished both surface/subsurface for 3hrs. The closest I came to a fish was when one short striked a bassbug.Typical of the poor flyfishing I've had all summer for smb after having a decent Spring.Until this year I've always done ok fishing midday for smb with no need to resort to being out at sunrise/sunset.But this year it's either that or take up golf.

Ron

You're not alone; I've had a subpar year myself on various waters. If this had been my first year of fly fishing I may have thrown in the towel!

Fished the DuPage on Saturday; nice water but the grass/weeds (both floating downstream and on the streambed) made me cry like a baby all afternoon. As I waded upstream, my stripping line constantly tangled in the grass. A stripping basket would've come in handy though I doubt I will use one because I refuse to lug around anymore than I presently do.

Picked up a bunch of dinks on a Murdich Minnow and a Clouser Minnow; lost one around 17" at my feet. Only saw one canow all afternoon.

Thanks John for organizing the event. It was a nice time on the water. After you left, Stan showed me a spot that held some bass. I caught a dink and I'm not complaining. It was my first Fox smallie.

I returned on Monday for a few hours, while my wife shopped at the premium mall. Thank god the fox is close by. The mall was a zoo on labor day. Anyway, I caught this little guy (~11") on an 4" orange streamer I tied.

Thanks Stan for the fishing tutorial. Larger streamers definitely work better. A little knowledge and a lot of beginners luck worked!

Alan

I finally had a decent day on the river; it's been a tough season. I caught two dinks around 10", one 13", one 16", and one 17.5 " (see picture). I lost two big ones, two small ones, and several unidentified. All were caught on plastic crayfish imitations, bouncing them on the bottom. I intended to use the fly rod and carried it with me, but I just kept with what was working.

RonG

Ron

You're not alone; I've had a subpar year myself on various waters. If this had been my first year of fly fishing I may have thrown in the towel!

Fished the DuPage on Saturday; nice water but the grass/weeds (both floating downstream and on the streambed) made me cry like a baby all afternoon. As I waded upstream, my stripping line constantly tangled in the grass. A stripping basket would've come in handy though I doubt I will use one because I refuse to lug around anymore than I presently do.

Picked up a bunch of dinks on a Murdich Minnow and a Clouser Minnow; lost one around 17" at my feet. Only saw one canow all afternoon.

The way flyfishing has been this summer I'd be very happy to hit a 17(or even a 15).I seldom fish upstream. It's too much of a hassle to push against the current especially on the Dupe when you have to push thru the weeds as well which in the past few years were much worse than this year.It's wide enuf that casting 50-60' at 45-90 degree angles from midstream shouldn't cause fish other than those directly below you to be spooked.If I want to fish midstream I stay close to either bank & either rollcast to midriver or false cast parallel to the bank to extend line & make the delivery cast toward midriver.On bigger rivers like the Kank/Fox there's no need to ever wade upstream.

The best way to handle stripped in line is to hold it in your line hand rather than letting it drop to the water where overcoming the surface tension as well as the current's drag will make casting it harder.Instead allow it to hang down in loops from your line hand.If there's not much line it can be shot without falsecasting or if there's more make one false cast shooting some and the rest on the delivery cast.As with anything in flycasting it takes some practice.

The best way to handle stripped in line is to hold it in your line hand rather than letting it drop to the water where overcoming the surface tension as well as the current's drag will make casting it harder.Instead allow it to hang down in loops from your line hand.If there's not much line it can be shot without falsecasting or if there's more make one false cast shooting some and the rest on the delivery cast.As with anything in flycasting it takes some practice.

I do try that at times but I sometimes end up with a handful of curled line. As you mentioned, there is a lot of drag from the surface tension when I make my casts. I guess that's another aspect of line control that I need to keep practicing. Good thing the arm is still young!

Guest airbornemike

When I saw Stan Sunday with his stripping basket it reminded me of a little home made basket I had been planning on throw'n togather and trying out. I'll be darned if this aint the best tool for pond hopping and bank casting, I tried it out monday evening and had a ball shooting lots a line.

I do try that at times but I sometimes end up with a handful of curled line. As you mentioned, there is a lot of drag from the surface tension when I make my casts. I guess that's another aspect of line control that I need to keep practicing. Good thing the arm is still young!

To avoid frequent tangling do not try to cast too much of the hand held line at once & do not move your line hand while casting.Done properly 50-60'+ casts can be made with 1 false cast to shoot some of the line with the rest shot on the delivery cast without tangling too often & shorter ones are a snap without falsecasting.

Another technique is to flip all the hand held line upstream just as you start to cast.The line won't be on the water long enuf to allow surface tension to grip it & since the line will be cast before it's downstream current drag will not be a factor.