Deeper water fly fishing

Norm M

Guest airbornemike

Airflo also makes excellent flylines with unique properties.One is that unlike other lines they are non stretch making for a better hookset.While I think this would be a negative in trout fishing where most fish are lost by breakoffs of the very light 4-6x tippets typically needed for trout since the line wouldn't be able to absorb the strike/fight it's a plus for warmwater species with the stronger 1-3x tippets typically used since most hardmouthed warmwater fish are lost from a poor hookset.

Another feature of Airflo lines is that they're always "relaxed"ie they never kink or coil up.This together with the ridges built into the line results in fewer tangles when shooting line for distance.In this regard the regular Distance line is better than the 40+ Extreme Distance line whose extremely thin running line is more prone to annoying tangling.Any warmwater flyfisherman would do well to give this line a try

Ron are you using the 40+ standard? If so what rod are you tossing it with? I've been looking at the low stretch hi sensitvity lines by Airflo and others for a subsurface and all around floating line.

Ron are you using the 40+ standard? If so what rod are you tossing it with? I've been looking at the low stretch hi sensitvity lines by Airflo and others for a subsurface and all around floating line.

I've got a 7wt 40+ Extreme Distance on my 6wt & a 5wt regular Distance on one of my 4wts.With its extremely thin running line the Ex D casts very long like a shooting head. But the running line tangles pretty often if you're not careful.It's controllable but can be a hassle.While not the rocket that the Ex D is the regular Distance line casts very well at normal fishing distances(40-70')& is less prone to tangling.While Airflo lines are great for warmwater species a line that does stretch might better as an all aroung line if you do much trout/steelhead fishing as I said in my post.I like the Wulff Triangle Taper flyline.It has a thinner running line than most & casts/mends very well at distance.

By the way Airflo claims that their lines are not affected by deet.I've started using deet free repellants which are ok if applied more often than deet based ones.They also don't have a nasty smell & can safely be applied to your face.