“The Force is strong with this one.”

Steve S.

We all know that Don is not nearly coordinated enough to use a Flyrod to catch a Smallmouth unless he was just dabbling. That is a beautiful picture. But I am with Scott on this one. We gonna need video footage of Don casting, working the fly, seeing the take, setting the hook and then landing the fish. I mean we are talking about Don R here.

We all know that Don is not nearly coordinated enough to use a Flyrod to catch a Smallmouth unless he was just dabbling. That is a beautiful picture. But I am with Scott on this one. We gonna need video footage of Don casting, working the fly, seeing the take, setting the hook and then landing the fish. I mean we are talking about Don R here.

I love it when my old friend Gary chimes in. :rolleyes:

Ow

What is that thing in his left hand?

Would you believe that Steve handed me his fly rod so he could take a pic of me with a smallie I caught on a spinner bait with a spin rod?

Wow! Awesome colors, both the fish & the trees. Do my eyes deceive me or is that Don with a fly rod. Nice to be in the right place at the right time- it doesn't work out that way that often. Steve were you keeping up with the fly rod during the fast action?

Steve kept up just fine with the fly rod. We didn't count fish but I'd guess we ended up fairly even on numbers and sizes.

More than 5 hours north of Chicago. Smallies spitting up crayfish. A bug hatch. Dragon flies. Go figure. Middle of October. Reports are saying 'better use live bait or you won't catch fish'. Ha! I don't think so Tim. This is one time I think the bacon wrapped glow stick would have worked! The key is to locate the fish. Once that's done the rest is all cake. I like cake.

And no, there aren't any treatment plants nearby. :unsure:

Steve, why is Don holding a fish that you obviously caught? ;)

:P

Don was gracious enough to not only give me dibs on a very prime spot, but also to keep his YUM crawbugs to himself! Normally, when I hook a bass, a crawbug immediately flies over my shoulder and into that spot before I can even land the one I caught!

The truth is I cast and hooked the bass and handed the fly rod over to Don to give him a taste of what he's been missing. I couldn't help but notice the huge grin on his face as this smallie gave him a great tussle! :D

Afterwards, Don hung onto the rod and started practicing his casting technique. All I can say is it won't be long now...............

Steve were you keeping up with the fly rod during the fast action?

John

I had quite a day with the 5 wt. I bought from Joseph in the off season. Previously, it had sat in its tube this season as I preferred the 7 wt. for the larger bugs and waters I had fished all summer. In fact, I will probably be buying an 8 wt. over the winter. It is a much better fit the the fishing I do IMO.

But, back to the 5 wt. I had only used it twice; during my vacation in FL back in April and one day in WI in June. I was determined to catch my first smallmouth on it this trip. The day was perfect for the 5 wt. as there was very little wind. I worked exclusively on top with small Booglebugs and subsurface with Clouser deep minnows. There really was no need to try anything else as I had plenty of action from bass ranging 12" to +18". Initially I needed to make some casting adjustments as my 7 wt has a faster action. Once I slowed down and got into a better rhythm, the casting was pretty effortless, other than dealing with an occasional "jumpy" Clouser on the end of my tippet.

As Don replied, the reality is the bass do really partake in that "mythical" fall feeding binge we like to dream about. We just needed to locate them - and get lucky with the timing. Really lucky. Its not too often you can time an October excursion to the Northwoods to coincide with a week of stable, warm weather, ending with 70 degree days the two days of your trip. All I can say is what a fantastic experience. All the driving, hiking, wading, sore backs and cold legs paid off.

I am tempted to say what a great way to end the "road trip" season, but I am not convinced of that yet. Either that or I'm in extreme denial.

29zc45j.jpg

Is that any way to talk about our new prez?