Mega Dairy Court Case Update

Status of case, following hearings this week is this: "Judge ruled plaintiffs have established a prima facie case for “private nuisance” at close of our evidence, in response to defense motion for a directed finding. That obligated the defense to present their evidence, which is where we are now. See Court Clerk’s notes re motion for directed finding denied."

http://www.judici.com/courts/cases/case_hi...015JL2008CH42D1

Ok, I read it, and have no idea what any of it means. :huh:

It means that Nack (def) made a motion at the end of the presentation of the plaintiffs' case that the plaintiffs had not presented enough evidence to get relief and the judge denied the motion - it's a good ruling for the plaintiffs.

Is there somewhere else, besides reading the court file, where this case is discussed? I didn't realize anything had been filed. It sounds as if a nuisance theory is being used, seeking some kind of injunction, right? We had tried a similar tactic at the Bellflower, IL dairy to try to stop it. Different kind of area, and I'm not hearing a lot of complaints now that that dairy has been up and going for a while. Fortunately, there have been no know escapes from the ponds used to collect the animal waste, so as far as I know, disaster has been avoided there.

Is there somewhere else, besides reading the court file, where this case is discussed? I didn't realize anything had been filed. It sounds as if a nuisance theory is being used, seeking some kind of injunction, right? We had tried a similar tactic at the Bellflower, IL dairy to try to stop it. Different kind of area, and I'm not hearing a lot of complaints now that that dairy has been up and going for a while. Fortunately, there have been no know escapes from the ponds used to collect the animal waste, so as far as I know, disaster has been avoided there.

It is likely being discussed in local newspapers in the area.

This is very big news to the residents of the region.

Legal strategies are discussed privately and in conference calls, understandably.

I remember you pointing out the Bellflower farm in the past and was able to learn the same thing again with this case, with the nuisance card strategy in seeking an injunction.

I'm glad to hear that the Bellflower seems to be a good neighbor so far, but statistics tell us it likely won't last.

We may find ourselves making that determination before long, if there is a river or stream nearby.