9 pound smallie

Gregg S

On my lure collector's message board, joesoldlures.com, there is this story and picture today. Blind man catches 9 lb smallie in Michigan, fishing off a dock at night, with a black jitterbug for bait.

http://www.joesoldlures.com/wwwboard/messages/291180.html

Gregg

Not to be derrogatory to people who are "sight challenged" (being a glasses wearer myself) but the following thought occurred to the investigator in me: "given that particular medical condition...how would one know the fish is 9 pounds?

Not to be derrogatory to people who are "sight challenged" (being a glasses wearer myself) but the following thought occurred to the investigator in me: "given that particular medical condition...how would one know the fish is 9 pounds?

First, I'm guessing the photographer does not suffer from the same condition. But then, weight is not a visual measurement. With practice, it seems a blind person could judge weight as accurately as, if not more accurately than, the rest of us estimate length.

First, I'm guessing the photographer does not suffer from the same condition. But then, weight is not a visual measurement. With practice, it seems a blind person could judge weight as accurately as, if not more accurately than, the rest of us estimate length.

That may very well be true.... but, as the story says it's the guys third time fishing, ever! Who knows, or even cares for that matter? What is a 4-5lb smallie to me, may be a 9 pounder to someone else! ;)