surgery complete............now the hard part!

Jonn Graham

My surgery on my carpal tunnel syndrome was complete by noon on Friday. I understand now what the doc says about two to three weeks until I can resume casting. Little more pain than expected. Taking my Vicodin and watching Brett Favre videos.

For the first time in my life, I am glad it is raining buckets outside. Even if I was healthy enough to fish, the rivers are so messed up what would be the point. Can't believe I am saying this, but........................LET IT RAIN!!!!

Glad to hear you got through the surgery okay and are now heading down recovery road possibly in a wagon pulled by a snail but on your way none the less. I assume that new Flyrod has helped the pain somewhat. I guess you need to come down here and we can dropshot for Smallies. No casing involved.

Jonn,

Get well soon.

Judging by your recovery time, you had the new orthroscopic surgery. That beats the old open incision they did 15-20 years ago. Since I have battled CTS on and off for close to 20 years, I am interested to see how the surgery works for you because I keep thinking, "Someday... ."

Others in my situation may be interested in this. Though the problem has not gone permanently away, I have had good luck using good posture practices, exercises, and wearing a wrist brace at night. For me the keyboard was the culprit. To take some of the keying load off of the right hand, I switched the mouse to the left side It is amazing that the left hand naturally mirrors the right hand actions. At work I used one of those curved keyboards to keep the kinks out of my wrist. The exercises stretch and relax the muscles in the forearm. The brace keeps me from resting my chin on my right hand (with wrist bent 90 deg) while I sleep. When I forget to do these things, pain gets me back on track.

Just some thoughts.

As far as I know, there is no arthoscopic surgery for Carpal Tunnel. My surgeon made no mention of this. I had the incision method and so has everyone i have ever talked with. I wish it could have been arthroscopic................heck I might have been fishing in days.

I had both wrists done several years ago, only a little incision on the wrist, nothing on the palm. Not sure if you call that "arthroscopic" on not, but it was not what they used to do. The results were great, at least thus far. Hope you do as well.

As far as I know, there is no arthoscopic surgery for Carpal Tunnel. My surgeon made no mention of this. I had the incision method and so has everyone i have ever talked with. I wish it could have been arthroscopic................heck I might have been fishing in days.

Maybe I did not get the terminology right. It is endoscopic surgery, one or two small incisions, not the traditional 1" cut. See: http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/carpa...tunnel-syndrome

Congrats on being done. Good luck on your recovery. Use the vicodin very sparingly!

I agree with the vicodin advice, if only because I've been on that regimen for my back...sparingly.

Know plenty of people that pop these things like candy and don't get satisfaction.

In my case, the timetable was always small, as I drive a construction dump truck primarily for a living, when I'm not doing physical work as a union construction laborer.

One 750mg, and I'm good for the night.

Can't take them during the day for obvious reasons (the federal random CDL drug testing program frowns on it anyway, even with a prescription), but will say that they are temporary at best.

The pain goes away for a time, but the next day it comes back ten-fold.

Hence the reason people get addicted to these in a major way and the dosage triples before ya know it.

Don't get into the habit of enjoying them.

A couple friends were sorry they ever took the first one.

Dangerous drug there.

Vioxx was the best thing that ever happened in drugs, IMHO.

Problem was, it was too good to be true.