9/5,9/7report a biggie that didn't get away, then did

ronk

Fished the Kank 9/5 in the same area were I hit the 2 20+ recently.It was up from Gustav but still wadeable.Nothin doin.

Fished the Fox 9/7.It looked like it took more rain from Gustav than the K but being much lower

to begin with it too was still wadeable(barely) if you picked your spots.Figured there'd be some action in a long stretch of water willows but came up empty using both a zonker and a bassbug.The next spot was a long stretch of riprap that's been pretty reliable both last fall and so far this year. Riprap and the Fox go together like ham and eggs.About a third way down this stretch something bumped the zonker than nothing. Than a second or 2 later a heavy fish was on.As the fish surged I figured I'd come upon a pod of carp, the fly bumping one and than either snagging or getting bit by another.Too my delight I saw it was no carp but a Huge smallie as it came busting up well clear of the water.Catching that fish suddenly became a lot more urgent than when I thought it was just a carp.He was a great leaper jumping clear of the water 4 or 5 times at least one being head over heels and pulled like hell in the strong current as well.I finally landed it. It measured an even 20".The only regret is not getting a pic.As is typical the fish became quiet after I put down the rod too ready the camera for a timer pic.However as I picked up the rod to bring in the short length of line I'd left him on he jumped yet again and even though he only managed to get about halfway out of the water he freed himself from the fly.Second time that's happened trying for a timer shot. I like to fish alone but having a partner would sure make taking pics easier.After fishing this stretch of riprap I managed to cross over to the far bank but was only able to fish the least productive part of the stretch I'd headed to due to the water's depth there.Although I only got 1 smallie I was happy with the outting. I'll take quality over quantity every time. A big smallie is a lot more exciting and challenging in a weed free river where he can really strut his stuff as opposed to the Dupe once it becomes weed choked.

Ron, may I suggest you lip the fish while gettin the camera out? Maybe practice the timer shot beforehand?

I've done it three times this year. I get them in quick and sometimes they give me the headshake while in the hand... Twice very memorable fish. Felt bad not getting a quick pic to immortalize the moment....

Brendan,

I lip the fish holding it in the water as I head to shore for the pic.It seems that it would be difficult to use just one hand to get the camera out,than go thru the menu to set up the timer than position the camera for the shot.But I'll give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.Another option would be to take along a stringer but with my luck the fish would escape with the stringer and be doomed to drag it around for the rest of its life.

RonK, I have found when fishing the Fox that if you fish behind in and around a pod of Carp foraging through the sand, gravel and whatever else you will catch many Smallmouths. I picked up about 90 Smallies one day near Oswego fishing just such a pod of carp. Was a wonderful day and never had to move.

RonK, I have found when fishing the Fox that if you fish behind in and around a pod of Carp foraging through the sand, gravel and whatever else you will catch many Smallmouths. I picked up about 90 Smallies one day near Oswego fishing just such a pod of carp. Was a wonderful day and never had to move.

Impressive #s.Any size?There's a stretch on the Dupe where it's ez to get big #s of smallies.Trouble is all will be less than 12".Preferring quality to quantity I rarely go there.