Trip Ideas

Andy C

I was planning on heading over to fish in Missouri this weekend but Gustav has ruined that for me. I need an idea for a trip here in the prairie state. I will need to rent a canoe or kayak and have a place to camp and I will be heading up from Carbondale so the closer to Southern Illinois the better. I would be willing to drive about 3:30 hours. If anyone needs a fishing partner for the weekend I am more than willing!

Thanks

Andy

Go up to Shelbyville, Illinois and fish the Kaskaskia River for Smallmouths. They have been doing some work on that river the last three or four years so you have a good chance of getting some good Smallmouths.

I was thinking of trying that, but I believe that they are pumping water out at a very high rate from the spillway, which is where I assume you are implying. I don't know of any other areas to access the river, although I am sure the are smallies in some of the tributaries. of shelbyville lake. I was thinking more of the vermillion river or mackinaw or something in the champaign area.

I was thinking of trying that, but I believe that they are pumping water out at a very high rate from the spillway, which is where I assume you are implying. I don't know of any other areas to access the river, although I am sure the are smallies in some of the tributaries. of shelbyville lake. I was thinking more of the vermillion river or mackinaw or something in the champaign area.

You are correct. The Kaskaskia is running at a very high rate below Lake Shelbyville and has been for some time now. No other tribs have smallies to my knowledge. You might try Kickapoo Park on the Vermillion. They have canoe rentals if they have not shut down yet.