Captain we got water coming in

Can't find that slow leak in your waders? Try hanging them from a tree and filling them with water. A little reverse engineering. Have a marker handy to circle the leak. Stay dry.

Phil

Chest high wader will hold several gallons of water---(water weighs over 8 lbs per gal).

Filling waders with water, and hanging them upright, will put an excess amount of stress on the suspenders & the sewn and glued seams and joints,

which may cause the joints/seams to fail (tear or separate).

Most of my leaks were in the lower legs. I have to admit I was worried about snapping the tree branch they were hanging from. This is a last ditch remedy before you toss them. I count on burning through 2 pairs of waders per year. I guess I just play hard.

Phil

Two ways that have worked for me when it comes to finding holes in waders:

1. Get in a dark room and shine a flashlight into the waders. The hole will be visible with a small beam of light exiting the hole.

2. Take a leaf blower or any mechanism that blows air and fill your waders up like a balloon and listen for the "hiss" as air exits the hole.

Both of these techniqes and are safe for the waders.

1. Get in a dark room and shine a flashlight into the waders. The hole will be visible with a small beam of light exiting the hole.

If your wife helps you do that be sure it's somewhere the neighbors can't see you. It could cause talk about kinky goings on.

I ain't saying how I know that............................................................ :rolleyes:

2. Take a leaf blower or any mechanism that blows air and fill your waders up like a balloon and listen for the "hiss" as air exits the hole.

Both of these techniqes and are safe for the waders.

Thanks for the tips,Jonn.I'll try the flashlight technique the next time I get a leak which will probably be the next time I fish.While I've had good results with neoprene and nonbreathable lightweights, results with breathables have been terrible for me probably because they really are a compromise.In order to stay dry I've even resorted to wearing breathable waist highs under the chest waders.

Another technique Joe Meyer advocates is to apply rubbing alcohol to the suspected area of the leak.The leaky spot will take on a different color.

Another technique Joe Meyer advocates is to apply rubbing alcohol to the suspected area of the leak.The leaky spot will take on a different color.

If I remember correctly..... which could go either way.... that technique only works on Gortex waders.

Two methods I have learned.

1. Spray with rubbing alcohol, you will see the inside area of the hole turn gray, fix with aquaseal.

2. fill with air and spin the leg so that no air can escape, hold under the water and watch for bubbles, again fix with aquaseal.

Hope this helps.

Fished today with a brand new pair of breathables from Columbia Sportwear.They leaked like a sieve.That's the 4th pair of premium breathables (Dan Bailey,Hodgman,LL Bean)that have either leaked "right out of the box" or after only little wear.I'm sending them back for a refund.Four things I'll never do:1)tug on superman's cape 2)spit into the wind 3)pull the mask off the old lone ranger 4)buy another pair of breathable waders.

I've had Hodgman breathable waders, various models and styles, for over the past 10 years, and have not had any leaks or problems, to date---

(knock on wood).

I generally purchase a size larger, so they fit looser, and there's extra room---

to minimize excessive stress on the joints when I bend, kneel or raise my legs.

Excessive stress on the joints and seams will cause problems and result in premature failure.

Is see some anglers that have waders that are nearly skin tight.

I also see some anglers pulling on the material, so as to get their waders stretched over their bulging torso, which puts undue stress on the joints/seams.

Some anglers need to keep in mind, the breathable material IS NOT made of latex.

Just what I was looking for in the way of advice for breatheables.

Thanks much Ken.

Oh, and if I can't get that Jim Croce tune outta my head by bedtime, I'm gonna be calling you in the middle of the night Ron!

Mike,

Fire up some Funkadelics , that will get that song out of your head.

I wade 200 plus days a year and have gone through more waders than most folks will in a lifetime. I have tried every type from rubber to neoprene to breathables and every type has leaked. I prefer the breathables as they are lighter and cooler than any other option. I always buy them large enough to accommadate winter layers underneath.

With the amount of use and brush busting I do you come to appreciate what the breathables offer over the other types.

I have done the air thing, the light thing and the water thing to find leaks. The hardest part is finding a patch that lasts.

Ken,

Your advice is good but it doesn't answer the problems I've had with leaky breathables.Until this last pair in size small the previous 3 pair were all roomy mediums given my height and weight,5'5" 165lbs,From now on I'm going to stick with a pair of lightweight nonbreathables which are truly waterproof and unlike expensive water resistant breathables can be had for $50.They're comfortable in all but the hottest weather when wet wading is the most comfortable way to go anyway.

Ron ,

Went that route , leaked in the seams in less than a year, twice.They are still heavier than breathables, guess it depends on how far you go and the terrain.

Ron ,

Went that route , leaked in the seams in less than a year, twice.They are still heavier than breathables, guess it depends on how far you go and the terrain.

Norm,

If you have a Cabela's catalog check out their Three Forks 420 Denier Featherlights for $50.They're actually lighter weight than breathables since they don't require multi layers.Of course since they don't breath they won't be as cool in the heat.They also won't be as leakprone and since they stand up much better to stress they won't have to be "babied " like breathables.

Ron:

I purchased the Featherlights years ago when they first came out. I purchased them due to the cheap price. Well, they did not last long. Matter of fact, I think I went through two pairs in relatively short order. Right now I use the Cabelas waist high breathables. Though I only wear waders when the water and air temp. call for it. I love to wet wade whenever I can.

Ron:

I purchased the Featherlights years ago when they first came out. I purchased them due to the cheap price. Well, they did not last long. Matter of fact, I think I went through two pairs in relatively short order. Right now I use the Cabelas waist high breathables. Though I only wear waders when the water and air temp. call for it. I love to wet wade whenever I can.

Jonn,

I've got a pair on order.Am hoping they've been improved since your experience.I have a pair of Red Ball lightweights that I got years ago that have held up well.Don't think Red Ball's around anymore though.