Morel hunters

jonesy

I checked out 1 of my spots in Ogle County and I found nothing. It still may be too early in Northen IL for heavily wooded areas.

Fresh Morels popped up in Macon County Wednesday.

Never did find any greys this year. But thats okay yellows are bigger. :D

After the rain last night I will need my chest waders to hunt today. :(

I found a log full of these big rascals, Im trying to find out if they are edible. Anybody know?

I'd stick with the morels, much safer and I can't image you would find a wild mushroom that tastes better. At least someone is finding them. Mushroom hunting has been very humbling for me. I figure if I stick with it and pay my dues exploring, that it will become rewarding for me.

I try to think of mushroom hunting as good exercise and a chance to get some good photos. Then Im not as bummed out when I dont find any. Like today!

Heres some misc. fungi I saw.

I try to think of mushroom hunting as good exercise and a chance to get some good photos. Then Im not as bummed out when I dont find any. Like today!

Heres some misc. fungi I saw.

Those almost make me not want to look for morels...ugh. <_< But I've got three granddaughter's to entertain this weekend, and mushroom hunting might do the trick.

Saturday the granddaughter's walked down to the Mackinaw to look for mushrooms along the river, found nothing but very high water. Then this evening my wife was riding the mower around our property and found a morel! Right in the front yard. Gave it to our new neighbor who is from Louisiana and professed no knowledge of morels. Next time we won't wander from the yard to look for them.

Saturday the granddaughter's walked down to the Mackinaw to look for mushrooms along the river, found nothing but very high water. Then this evening my wife was riding the mower around our property and found a morel! Right in the front yard. Gave it to our new neighbor who is from Louisiana and professed no knowledge of morels. Next time we won't wander from the yard to look for them.