My Fellow BB's Will Love This

Mark P

Went to a small detention pond in my subdivision to fish for some gill's with my son. Brought my 3wt and fished a 5x tippet along with a #16 Griffith's Indicator Gnat. Caught a gill on every cast. Saw some movement to my left about 2' off the bank. Cast the fly, which sunk and started a long slow strip and out of nowhere comes a 3.5lb largemouth that inhales it. He rushed it with his mouth wide open...

Caught and released despite the barbless hook.

Went home got a bigger rod and threw an intermediate ghost tip with a #6 Chewbacca Bugger and landed a bunch in the 1-2 lb. range and another #3.

When some people saw me release the 3's and asked why, I told them they'll be 5 lbs. next year. They have alot of forage to feed on.

Think I'll try some surface patterns tonite...

The pond is about a 30 second walk from my front door.

Mark

Guest rich mc

have a fly rod, will fish anywhere. this year i have been throwing my worm fly on a spinning rod . and having my best spring ever. lm,smallies, crappies , its called fishing and its fun. rich

Sounds like a pretty sweet bonus!!

I know a few good gill spots. I usually pass them up because I'm going after bass. This is probably typical with us. Although, gettin into a good bunch of gills with some bonus bass is a real treat. Nice find, Mark.

I'd like to try for them with a fly rod. I especially like to put the kids on gills when we're up in Lake Geneva. I usually don't get to fish because I'm baiting hooks and unhooking fish constantly...it's exhausting! This year mommy's going to get her hands all wormy and fishy, too.

I have a 6 weight fly rod set up for bass. Is it too much rod for pannies?

What about flies. I think all I have are bass flies and dry flies.

As a follow up to my initial post.

My son wanted me to give him a casting lesson last night so we went to the same pond and caught several nice size gill's and sunfish on a #6 Gartside Gurgler (yellow) because we weren't looking for the dinks. We also caught one sunfish which was without a doubt one of the biggest I have ever seen. It looked like some kind of a genetic anomoly. It would easily cover 90% of the surface of a 10" dinner plate. I actually lipped the thing when I landed it and you could have fit a roll of silver dollars end-wise inside its mouth. There is an existing pond that is connected to the detention pond via. a culvert. I'm thinking it had to come from there. These ponds get literally no pressure, have been there for years and the fish are more than willing to come to a fly.

I've always looked forward to b'gill time with a flyrod in Spring.Fast and furious action and great little fighters on a light flyrod.I use a 6.5' 2wt that weighs just 1 oz.Great on the table too.Caught a cupl dozen in the Mazonia area Sunday.Kept 17 8 inchers.Plan on going back today.

I originally started fly fishing with the idea that I could fly fish for trout and for river smallmouth bass. I quickly learned that pond fishing for bass and bluegill was a major attraction of fly fishing. Sometimes I fish ponds with a four weight rod and and catch bluegill on purpose and bass by accident, and sometimes I use a heavier rod and catch bass on purpose and catch outsized bluegill by accident. Either way it is lots of fun and I don't have to drive a long distance to get good action.

When the pan fish are spawning, like they are now, I like to rig a rod with a surface fly and a subsurface fly in tandem and catch two fish at time. On Sunday, I landed a fourteen inch bass and hand sized bluegill on one cast. It put a nice bend in the rod.

I've always looked forward to b'gill time with a flyrod in Spring.Fast and furious action and great little fighters on a light flyrod.I use a 6.5' 2wt that weighs just 1 oz.Great on the table too.Caught a cupl dozen in the Mazonia area Sunday.Kept 17 8 inchers.Plan on going back today.

Amen. I'll eat bluegill over walleye anyday. In fact I like catching 'em more too. That 2 wt must be fun.

I've been using a popper called a Booglebug. It's a really nice popper I got at One More Cast. They are 5 bucks each but I've caught a plenty of gills on them. Hooks are razor sharp and the paint looks like new. Kind of like a "Sammy" of poppers.

The popper is small enough that a bluegill can take it and big enough to attract a bass.

I've been using a nice 6 wt Loomis with Clouser line on a Bastock Battenkill that is very light. The whole outfit is lightweight, so even thogh it's a 6 wt a good bluegill puts up a struggle.

I can cast pretty far with it too which is a plus.