Water willow planting

Its a few weeks out but coming up fast. I know we will have help but I wanted to specifically invite any who have not tried this yet. ESPECIALLY new members - come out for the morning & meet a bunch of ISA members, plant a couple of flats, talk about fishing, have lunch on us & fish later if you have time. This is my favorite conservation activity - the results are there in the river to see, this is year 5 I beleive. We will meet below the dam in Montgomery on the west side. Anyone want to help with day of event coordination? Let me know. John

PLEASE NOTE BECAUSE OF CONTINUED HIGH WATER THE PLANTING IS CANCELLED - WE WILL DO IT NEXT YEAR

Its a few weeks out but coming up fast. I know we will have help but I wanted to specifically invite any who have not tried this yet. ESPECIALLY new members - come out for the morning & meet a bunch of ISA members, plant a couple of flats, talk about fishing, have lunch on us & fish later if you have time. This is my favorite conservation activity - the results are there in the river to see, this is year 5 I beleive. We will meet below the dam in Montgomery on the west side. Anyone want to help with day of event coordination? Let me know. John

That is totally cool that you have the ball rolling still on this John. I am committed to another worthy cause that weekend (Multiple Sclerosis Bike Tour) or I would certainly help you the day before and come out to plant. I have organized these events before John and the most hectic part is everything the day before. John assisted me with a few things and it was ENORMOUSLY helpful.

New members would certainly benefit from participating. The planting part goes fast and the commradery is great. You will probably learn more about fishing than you would at an outting.

great job and hope it goes well.

Since we are targeting new members, who may not have participated in this before (like me..) can someone educate the rest of us as to exactly where this event will take place? A little more detail regarding the location is greatly appreciated. I'm there if I'm in town.

Dan - good question. The site to meet is Montgomery park near the dam. We will likely walk from the meeting point after a demonstration to the planting sites. Some may take a short ride to start but we will all meet up back at the starting point afterward. Wish I could be more specific but I have not walked the area on the west side where we will plant this year. Soon I will post more detail after I get out there. Once we get started teams of 3 are seperated by a couple hundred yards at most & the planting takes place against the shoreline in a foot of water if the river is up, on the waters edge if its low( very unlikely this year). Mark has it nailed dead on you will learn more than a fishing outing because of the number of participants, the close proximity, & most of us realize that if you do this kind of activity you can be trusted with a little information. Besides its just fun.

I was just at the Fox R. yesterday. The water is high and fast. I'm not so sure if the water will be down enough to plant successfully. If by chance the planting needs to be postponed...perhaps we can get together to clean up some trash and do a little fishing.

Guest Don R

Please note that the date has changed for this event. July 19 @ 8:00 am is the new date/time.

Hopefully the Fox will settle down a bit by then.

John,

Thanks for following up on this. It's now on my calendar and I plan to be there. Like Pat, I would be glad to assist you in whatever way I can help.

Cory G.

• 2 weeks later...

John,

Working on a deal to swap vacation days, hopefully be there. East or west side of the river, below or above the dam and is Rego buying breakfast?

Unfortunatly due to continued high water this years planting is cancelled. Bob Rung area DNR biologist informed me that July is the end of the window for the plants to root & survive to next year. The latest rains will push us past that time window before the river returns to normal levels. We will do this again next year & continue to look for additional volunteer opportunities to improve our local waters.