Subwalks

Norm M

What makes the Subwalk different than other lures is that it is designed to sink to the 2 foot level and no more. You can let it drift with the current, twitch-pause-twitch, walk the dog or any combination thereof.

Today was a prime example of how it can be more productive than other lures. I was out fishing an area with ratllebaits, counting them down just above the mossy bottom and getting a mixed bag of smallies and walleyes. I noticed a mayfly hatch start and saw the rings of feeding fish. I knew from past expeience that the bigger fish would turn on and start feeding up on the smaller fish eating the bugs.

I switched to the Subwalk and ended up with 11 very large smallies taking the Subwalk as it was sinking. I believe that as they were already keyed into taking fish coming down from the surface that it was the best possible presentation to use.

To put that notion to the test I switched from the Subwalk to a topwater prop bait, flukes, swim jigs and rattle baits. The topwater prop bait was totally ignored, it may have been to big for the fish feeding on the bugs and the larger fish apparently felt no need to come all the way to the surface. I went with an unweighted fluke first and managed a couple more but they were kinda medium sized fish. The weighted fluke I next used had the same results, some fish but smaller. In neither case was the bite as frequent as the Subwalk. I tied on a swim jig tipped with a Stiko and kept it higher in the water column, it produced only 1 fish but it was a little larger than the fluke fish. I went to a rattlebait and fished it up higher in the water column but it did not get a sniff either, prolly had to work it too fast to keep it up.

I went back to the Subwalk as it turned out just before the hatch ended and got the final 2 of the 11 big bass.Now then, for me, that's enough to show me that the Subwalk was the presentation that best matched the feeding pattern the larger fish desired.

So far as I know I'm the only guy on my flow throwing the Subwalk. I don't know if the way it works is unique enough to out last the burnout factor once the fish start seeing it a lot but until that day comes[hopefully never] it has earned a spot in my rotation based on it's performance so far this year. If you are on a smaller flow and/or have lots of over hanging trees[and toss Sammys into them :rolleyes: ] it does cast like a bullet so you'll have to watch yourself.

So far as I know I'm the only guy on my flow throwing the Subwalk.

I just haven't made it down there yet but that should change in June ;)

Thanks for the tips, makes me think more when I'm out there.

Kevin

(kev-mo)

Thanks,you guys answered my question. Now that you've described it I think I've even seem one in action. I ocean fishing with my cousin in Florida over the winter. The seas were rough that day so we into the protected areas of a bay that was miles of 4-5 foot flats with weed growing up 1-2 feet from the bottom. My cousin was throwing a lure just as you descibed that was a subsurface lipless hardbait. He said he likes it because it worked just above the weeds and it worked good on snook and sea trout.

Norm, you make it sound so easy...Like how Jimmy Page makes playing the guitar look easy.

Thanks for the tips. It's like a mini-smallie school when reading these posts of yours.

JS

I'm kinda enjoying this type of post/discussion. Let's me talk about stuff that I don't really feel like writing an article about at that point in time. One day I may get inspired to go article length with some of these ideas.

I guess the best part is the feedback and different points of view and/or ideas that you don't get with an article.

One additional tip, if you miss some fish , open up the gap on the hooks.

Ken,

What kind of line are you using ? I haven't had any problems with either McCoys or Trilene XT.

If it's one of those braid types that float that may affect it's sink rate.

Ken,

What kind of line are you using ? I haven't had any problems with either McCoys or Trilene XT.

If it's one of those braid types that float that may affect it's sink rate.

If an angler is missing fish, or just feel taps or bumps, the fish are just bumping or rolling on the lure.

The fish has its mouth closed, and often times just bumps or rolls on a lure, to determine if its edible.

This is a common occurance with top water lures.

Perhaps 65-100lb superbraid would have an effect on a lures running depth.

I use 10-30lb Masterbraid, which has neglible effect on a bass lures running depth.

I also use 6-8lb Cortlands Endurance supermono.

The Subwalk is a derivative of a lure by Lucky Craft.

Lucky Craft got national attention, and Rapala jumped on the band wagon with a look-a-like.

Common occurance in the fishing tackle market.

The Lucky Craft lure has premium grade supersharp hooks, and don't need changing.