Presenting lures

Out fishing this week I was using tubes and cranks. I've decided to take all of the split rings off of my cranks it's much easier to change lures this way. I always use a small snap and check the knot often. I could go from a 1/8 to 1/4 ounce tube to a shallow crank to a deeper crank pretty quick this way. Quite often picked up additional fish on the crankbaits after getting a few on the tubes.

Phil

Excellent idea, should increase the amount of time your line is in the water. I can't emphasize enough his point about checking the line and the knot often.

Phil great idea, as usual.

Norm, what size, type, color snap swivels would one use to do this?

Dan, not a swivel, a snap. No swivel. I think I use size 2 snap, though I could be wrong and all the smaller snaps work great. Never lost a single fish because of a snap failing.

Here's an article I did for Indiana Smallmouth Alliance: Stream Smallmouth fishing is a 'Snap'

Phil,

Do you use a snap on a tube jig head or am I reading your sentence wrong? I've thought about that before but didn't know what that would do to the action of the jig...

I've used snaps for as long as I can remember with crankbaits. Even when a crankbait has a spilt ring I still use a snap. Am I losing some action by using both a snap and the split ring that was on there when I bought the bait? I never tie to a split ring as I've found too many lures on the shore w/the line broken right at the split ring. I've rarely if ever had line problems that close to the terminal connection whe using a snap.

Norm, what size, type, color snap swivels would one use to do this?

Dan

Snapswivels would be for a lure like an Mepps. I would use a ballbearing snapswivel , I think it's size 3 as I pretty much only use the size 4 and 5 Mepps.

For the applications Phil is talking about it would be just a plain swivel. Color is either silver or black, size 2 or 3 Duolock or other quality snap.

Phil,

Do you use a snap on a tube jig head or am I reading your sentence wrong? I've thought about that before but didn't know what that would do to the action of the jig...

I've used snaps for as long as I can remember with crankbaits. Even when a crankbait has a spilt ring I still use a snap. Am I losing some action by using both a snap and the split ring that was on there when I bought the bait? I never tie to a split ring as I've found too many lures on the shore w/the line broken right at the split ring. I've rarely if ever had line problems that close to the terminal connection whe using a snap.

Kevin ,

Phil generally uses a Charlie brewer jig with his tubes and connects the snap right to the jig. As many fish as I've seen him catch, it sure doesn't hurt the action of the jig.

When I use snaps with cranks and I haven't taken the split ring off I connect to the lure eye and not the split ring if there is room. On the newer Rapala shad raps there generally isn't room to use both.Unfortunately even if you take the split ring off the Shad Rap it aint easy getting the snap on.

When I tie direct to the split ring I make sure the knot is on the solid part and not on the crease in the split ring. I feel that the sharp edges in that crease will cut the line , generally when a big fish is attatched.

Sorry about not getting back I think I was fishing. Brenden and Norm covered it good. Thanks . Here's one other thing if you're fishing a jig with the hook eye coming straight out the front the, your knot strikes the rocks first every time your lure hits rocks. With a snap the hook eye hits but the knot is not hitting the rock. The big thing is to be able to change lures quickly and check different depths and speeds. Sometimes you're catching fish but then when you get every thing right the location or the depth and speed you take it to a whole 'notha level. Other times I think if I couldn't walk and only had one lure I'd be forced to work with what I gots where I'm at and learn some new stuff too.

Phil

Guest rich mc

one could assume that using a snap is just like a fly angler using a non slip loop knot on a streamer . more action for the fly and more action from fish . rich