J cradles for sale

Gregg S

I have a set of Thule j cradles for sale. They attach to any roof rack-for carrying a kayak on its side. Lightly used over last 2 or 3 seasons and in great shape. Straps included. Retail $150. Will sell for $60.

I have had to get something else because they do not work for Native Ultimate due to the pontoon shapes on the hull. They will work for any traditional or sit-on kayak that does not have that feature.

Gregg

I have a set of Thule j cradles for sale. They attach to any roof rack-for carrying a kayak on its side. Lightly used over last 2 or 3 seasons and in great shape. Straps included. Retail $150. Will sell for $60.

I have had to get something else because they do not work for Native Ultimate due to the pontoon shapes on the hull. They will work for any traditional or sit-on kayak that does not have that feature.

Gregg

Hi Greg,

I'm a new member of ISA and am looking into the idea of purchasing a kayak for fishing purposes. Sorry I don't have any interest or need for your roof rack system.

Was sort of excited to see that you acquired the Native kayak, which is the one I seem to prefer over other models/brands. Would like to ask a couple of questions about using a kayak for fishing purposes. Some background...

My idea of getting/using a kayak is to avoid having to shuttle my car to a take out point downstream. Am wondering if its practical to consider paddling upstream on a river and then fishing back to the launch site? Probably would fish from the kayak however I think my preference would be to use it as transportation and then get out and wade selected areas. Is this idea practical? Do you wear waders when fishing from the kayak? I would probably wear the waders. Thanks for your help, Dick Dragiewicz

Guys,

No kayak is ideal for paddling upstream. It can be done, depending on the flow, but can be alot of work. Paul Trybul posted recently about paddling upstream to fish one good hole and wondering if it was worth it. The best kayaks for paddling upstream are narrow-not made to be fishing kayaks.

I love the Native Ultimate for comfort-the seat is great, and it has lots of room to stretch out and spread gear around which I tend to do when fishing. I have had kayaks for years. It is the first one I've had that I am comfortable in for hours.

Yes, I like to wear waders so I can beach and hop out. The Native is perfect for this because it is stable and you just swing your legs over the side. I rigged it with anchor trolley system ($29). With the seat out (which takes just a second, it weighs less than 50 lbs which is light for a SOT and helps when it comes to hoisting it on the roof.

Downside: Every paddle drip lands in the boat and stays there until I empty it. Wearing waders minimizes effect of this, and seat sits high enough that your butt doesn't get wet. This will not be an issue in hot weather, but it is in cold. I have learned that the Ultimate will NOT float when tipped. I assumed it would because kayaks generally do. This is a bit of a concern to me-I don't want to lose it!

Native makes a slightly lower priced kayak that is shallower and has scupper holes to help drain shoe/paddle drip water. It floats if dumped. I might have gone that route if I were starting over today, but I am not sure because it has less roominess.

j cradles still available.

Gregg

• 10 months later...
Hi Greg,

I'm a new member of ISA and am looking into the idea of purchasing a kayak for fishing purposes. Sorry I don't have any interest or need for your roof rack system.

Was sort of excited to see that you acquired the Native kayak, which is the one I seem to prefer over other models/brands. Would like to ask a couple of questions about using a kayak for fishing purposes. Some background...

My idea of getting/using a kayak is to avoid having to shuttle my car to a take out point downstream. Am wondering if its practical to consider paddling upstream on a river and then fishing back to the launch site? Probably would fish from the kayak however I think my preference would be to use it as transportation and then get out and wade selected areas. Is this idea practical? Do you wear waders when fishing from the kayak? I would probably wear the waders. Thanks for your help, Dick Dragiewicz

Hi Dick, I have been fishing from canoes and kayaks for years and if you have already started you now they are not perfect for fishing out of, but they do work. Last year I got the pleasure of fishing out of a Water Master Grizzly inflatable. WOW. It makes a huge differance. I could fish the entire time i was in the boat. I did not have to put down my rod hardly at all. Here are the links for it.

http://www.bigskyinflatables.com/Home_Page.html

These are incredible. Be sure to check out the videos, both on the web site and on youtube.

They are a bit pricey but they are well worth it. The guys at Big sky inflatables are great and I am now saving my pennies and trying to sell my kayak so I can get my Water Master.

Hi Greg,

Hi Dick,

I have a Native MantaRay 12 which is the sit on top 12'. I haven't tried the moving water yet but if you'd like to give it a try on some still water this spring let me know and we can hook up at the Skokie Lagoons. I wear waders in the yak when the water is cold and would most likely wear them for river fishing because I think I'd use it more of a spot to transportation vehicle than some to fish from on moving water.

BTW, I'm the guy whose fishing license you found and returned from the Big Green about 6 years ago. ;)

Nick

I started this thread months ago to sell a set of j-cradles. They are still for sale, $60. Anybody who bought or is buying a kayak for this season can save more than 50% over what you would pay new. They work for sit-in or sit-ons except for Native Ultimate (because of the pontoon feature).

Gregg

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.