Wanting to buy new baitcast reel- Quantum Energy PT

Greg C

I am looking to get a new reel, soon. I have four Quantum Energy PTi spinning reels. They are, hands down, the best sinning reel in their class...IMHO. I have not used a baitcaster, other than my Shimano Calcutta, for almost ten years. I'm looking at getting the Quantum Energy PT for the reason that I have had excellent cucess with their spinning reels. Short of running them over with the truck, you just cast tear them up! That said, not all items made by the same company will work one as well as another. Their baitcasters might suck, as far as I know. But, if you guys can give me your experiences, or recommedations. It would be greatly appreciated.

Also, looking for info on the KVD model. Any guys with experience to share?

I have smaller hands, so I don't like most round reels. Abu-Garcia pops to mind. Don't like 'em, don't want 'em, won't buy 'em. I will only buy the low profile reels.

P.S.- anybody want to chime in about the flippin switch on some model reels? I have no knowledge of how this work, or if it's just a gimmick. ???

P.P.S.- Looking to match with a BPS Extreme rod. Comments?

My #1 choice of low profile BC reel for flippin and pitchin, is Shimano's Castaic.

The Castaic has outlasted and outperformed all other reels flippin reels I've used.

There are some models on the market that will perform okay, for the average angler.

There are some models on the market that don't hold up to the heavy pressure for wenching fish out of heavy cover.

Buy the best you can afford, if you are a serious flippin/pitchin angler.

NOTE:

Something to consider when buying a reel, is the after sales service support an OEM gives.

Shimano is #1 in the business.

For flippin' rods, my choices are GLoomis, St Croix and Shimano.

There are other flippin' rods that will do the job, but for limited use.

Ken's comments regarding baitcasters are solid except for one thing..............Shimano's customer service track record is not that great. For proof, talk to me or check out riversmallies.com. Plenty of guys have been "stiffed" by Shimano as was I.

If I had to suggest one casting reel, it would be the Quantum Accurist PT. It is around $120 and is a real beauty. It has the flippin' switch but I am yet to use it. Great reel at a great price.

I've been using the BPS Johnny Morris Signature Series Baitcast Reel for the last year, currently on sale for $129. I own two of them, and have been very happy with their performance. I like them much better than my older model Shimano Curado. Only possible drawback, if it's important to you, is that they do not have a flipping switch.

They may actually give you combo price if you're buying an new extreme rod.

Jonn,

I've made offers to you on previous ocassions---numerous times---

if you have an issue with your Shimano reel, call me, send the reel to me, and I'll get the issue/problem resolved for you.

To date, you HAVE NOT taken me up on the offer, and still complain about getting "stiffed".

????

Please, put in writing the issues and problems you've encountered, send them to me---

I will personally get the issues addressed.

Thanks.

Mark K, I have a Shimano Calcutta 100, also. I like it as a low profile round reel. Most other round reels are out for me. I like using my Calcutta, but I was looking for something else to try. The only way to learn what you like, is to try it. I have been extremely happy with my Quantum spinning reels. I thought that, unless I heard from some one about major problems with this reel, I would get one to try.

I bought a Diawa spinning reel for a bit more money than my Quantums, and it lasted all of one and a half seasons. It literally came apart in my hands. Next the bail fell off. I fixed it, but then the spool shaft stopped oscillating during the start of the next season. The spool would not ride up & down like a spinning reel should. And, there was an issue with the drag. I chucked it in the trash, and didn't bother with it again. I had an issue like this with a Diawa baitcaster 10 years ago. The thing I decided was that if a certain reel model had issues, and you know about it, don't chance it.

Also, I have had fantastic customer support from Quantum. I had an older model Quantum spinning reel break off at the reel seat. I sent it in to get a new real seat/side plate to repair the reel. It was out of warranty, BTW. They instead sent me a brand new Energy PTi reel!! I have had it since, going on my third season with zero problems. I have three others just like it, and they have no problems.

My best friend wanted me to get a Team Diawa X-series reel. I might have to try one of those, as well. Unless there are problems someone knows of with that model. ???

I'm not trying to convince you to get a calcutta or round reel. But if you have relatively small hands (like me) pay attention to how recessed the reel seat is and I would pay some consideration to the reel seat on the rod (Loomis reel seats are sweet!).

I should have explained that better.

Regarding durability:

I got to wonder how much you expect out of a reel today. The drive seems to be to make them as smooth and tight as possible with spools that float light light enough to cast a #0 Mepps. Fine, they've accomplished that. But maybe it's too much to ask of a hunk of metal and plastic to have all those properties AND be durable.

As far as those really high speed gear ratios go too. That might be too much for the bearings and gears too hold up to especially when your throwing something heavy or with a lot of resistance.

Ken:

I have talked to Shimano directly in the past and they did not want to help me. Because of this all of my shimanos are gone. I will not buy another. I believe in good customer service. If I don't get it, then I don't use their product. If you take the time to read about the issues many, many fishermen have had with Shimano, you will understand where I am coming from. Riversmallies.com has many threads concerning how Shimano has turned their back on the common angler. I am sure that you have had good luck with Shimano's customer service as a result of being a vendor. There is no sense trying to change my mind. Shimano is OUT for me and I will continue to steer anyone away from Shimano if they ask my opinion.

The nice thing about a reel with the "flippin" feature, is that when you release the spool release button,

the spool engages instantly---without having to turn the handle to engage the spool, to take up line.

An angler has instant engaging of the spool, when the button is released.

Shimano's Castaic reel has a one-piece thumb bar, that on both sides and top of the opening to the spool, a very nice and a handy feature design.

Most other reel models, with the flippin feature, have a switch setting, labeled "F" or "flip"---the angler moves the lever to this position to activate the flippin feature.

In the "off" position, the reel handle has to be turned to engage the spool, as in conventional casting presentations.

The "flippin" feature is very efficient when flippin & pitchin, short distances, as in bass fishing, when placing your lure a short distance to a specific target. The flippin technique is very effective, and is generally used with 7-7.5ft rods.

Some avid bass anglers, prefer to cast with their right hand, and retrieve with their left hand---vs switching hands---cast with your right hand, move the rod from your right hand to your left hand, then turn the reel handle with your right hand to engage the spool.

Reels with the "Flippin" feature, are also favored by many avid walleye anglers, when verticle jigging or pulling, and maintain contact with the bottom.

When you're verticle jigging or "bouncing the bottom", and suddenly, while working a down-the slope drift, the jig is off the bottom----you can depressed the button, allow line to pay-out 'until the jig touches bottom again, and release the buttom to engage the spool, without having to turn the reel handle.

A very handy feature for the angler when using two rods simultaneously, verticle jigging or pulling.

This technique is practiced by some avid bass anglers, working a down-ward slope, so as to keep in contact with the bottom, at all times. When a fish strikes, you set the hook, place the other rod in a holder, and commence bringing the fish to the boat.

Guess I'm I budget baitcaster, lol. I prefer spending the big bucks on my rods and go with the mid to low priced baitcasting reels and I have several. The Quantum Accurist PT is a fine reel and if you pitch or flip flooded cover during high water the flipping switch is not a gimmick. The reel is engaged instantly when you release the thumb bar and a lot of the hits are instant and it can make the difference between getting the fish up and out before you get wrapped. The Diawa Exceller is a nice "surprise" budget reel. Lots of high dollar features with a $69 price tag.(You could do a lot worse. BTW it's namesake in the spinning line is one fine reel too!) My old green Shimano Curado is a trusted friend. But hands down my favorite is the ABU Revo series. The S is quality through and through. Smooth as silk, handles light line and baits without a hitch, stump pulling drag power, good looks and ergonomics, comfortable to palm, and economical ($99).

The Truth is there a just a ton of quality baitcasting reels out there made to fit a wide variety of uses and budgets. Asking on a board is a good start but in the end you should really try taking your rod to a store and try as many reels on it as you can. feel and balance, features that intrest you and your style of fishing, gear ratios, etc, all play and important part in your decision. I wouldn't put a lot of emphasis on brand name as just about every manufacturer makes a quality reel just as every manufacturer also makes a few lemons( nobody's perfect). In the end buy what YOU like ;)

Ron G

just adding my two cents/I have been useing a Diawa Zillion for two tourn. seasons with great results/tough as nails and easy to cast light baits/I also use it in the river for most heavier jig applications/another point is the gear ratio/I have the 7:1 /and I kmow this has landed me a ton of extra fish/We all know how a smallie will grab a craw bug and rip dwn current/its nice to be able to catch up quickly/its $$$ at 225, but I always buy at the real trade time at bass pro/you can get 40-50 off and your old reals go to a good cause/I couls buy anything but I have found this to be ther best, Raymond K

"Something to consider when buying a reel, is the after sales service support an OEM gives.

Shimano is #1 in the business."

I will agree with the above statement by Ken D. I needed a replacement part for a reel, contacted Shimano and received it at no cost from Customer Service, within several days. All my reels are Shimano, have lasted without a problem some for 15 years with TLC. This includes bait castng and spinning reels.

I am extremely surprised to hear the negative comments about the Shimano reels. Shimano has a reputation for being an extremely reliable and durable bass reel. I don't know if river fishermen do something to their reels that tournament bass guys don't but criticism of their reels is a rarity. LOL- I go to enough sites and read enough threads where I would of seen something by now. If anything, Quantum has the reputation of being an inferior reel to the likes of Shimanos and Daiwas.

Personally, I use Daiwa products. I used to use Shimano Curados and Chronarchs but after using a supertuned TDX last year, there was no going back. It's quite a bit more than the Quantum but it is an awesome reel.

Raymond, I recently purchased a Zillion so I am looking forward to giving it a good workout. Good fishing.

Paul:

Evidently you don't go to www.riversmallies.com. Search on there for many, many threads talking about how shimanos bind when they get wet. Matter of fact, many of us on the site call the company "Shimbindo". That is why I got rid of them. I expect a reel that cost over 100 smackers to not bind up when it is simply raining!!!!! Or the anti reverse quits working when the air temp is below 40 degrees!!!! Unacceptable!!!

Jonn,

you're statements----

>>>...shimanos bind when they get wet<<<

>>>I expect a reel that cost over 100 smackers to not bind up when it is simply raining!!!!!<<<

>>>.....the anti reverse quits working when the air temp is below 40 degrees!!!!<<<

Your blanket statements, which implys that Shimano reels are inferior,

are NOT TRUE.

I am extremely surprised to hear the negative comments about the Shimano reels. Shimano has a reputation for being an extremely reliable and durable bass reel. I don't know if river fishermen do something to their reels that tournament bass guys don't but criticism of their reels is a rarity. LOL- I go to enough sites and read enough threads where I would of seen something by now. If anything, Quantum has the reputation of being an inferior reel to the likes of Shimanos and Daiwas.

Personally, I use Daiwa products. I used to use Shimano Curados and Chronarchs but after using a supertuned TDX last year, there was no going back. It's quite a bit more than the Quantum but it is an awesome reel.

Raymond, I recently purchased a Zillion so I am looking forward to giving it a good workout. Good fishing.

I have two Stradics with exactly the binding problem Jonn desribes. They also both required a new clutch and from the very get go I had problems with the bail snapping shut on the cast. Pain in the ass reels. $220 bucks down the drain.

I have friends that have owned them too with similar problems and I've read stuff on the web too.

Yeah, I think river anglers are harder on reels. Though I try not to, they get occasionally dunked and your typical river gunk.

I also own these and now they have way more mile than the Shimanos ever got (mainly because the sucked so much, I hate using them)

Daiwa SS zero problems.

Daiwa SS 2 zero problems.

49.99 daiwa Regal Z zero problems.

I like Shimano baitcasters. Calcutta and Citica. Fine reels no problems, but this is one river angler that just wouldn't take chance on another spinning reel of theirs.

Ken:

I don't want to get in a pissing contest with you, but I must say that evidently you are not keeping up with the problems shimano reels have had with COUNTLESS ANGLERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!. If you don't think Shimanos bind when they get wet, or the anti reverse quits when it gets cold, you are sadly very mistaken!!!! I went through all of these problems. I had many, many shimanos and will never own another one. You need to open your eyes to what other anglers have experienced with Shimano reels..............not just your experiences. Check out www.riversmallies.com and then tell me I am making everything up.

Do a Google search:

"Shimano Binding wet"

Clearly, it's an issue.

The clutches on stradics are crap too. Now that I think about it I had three stradics. All were crap.

I had some very old Symetrities. Pretty good reels but it was before they got the really tight anti-reverse. Those held up fairly well. I think I actually still have them.

I was eyeballing some new saltwater Shimano. Sharp looking reel and felt really nice, but I'm not getting sucked in again by it's evil dark force.

Mark,

I didn't know you guys were talking about Shimano spinning reels. I don't have much experience with those since I've used Daiwas for the last 10 years or so. Still, this is the first that I've heard of this problem but I'll take your word on it. Getting all hot and bothered about fishing reels is kinda silly if you ask me. Good fishing.

Mark,

I didn't know you guys were talking about Shimano spinning reels. I don't have much experience with those since I've used Daiwas for the last 10 years or so. Still, this is the first that I've heard of this problem but I'll take your word on it. Getting all hot and bothered about fishing reels is kinda silly if you ask me. Good fishing.

Not mad at all. Sorry if came off that way.