Sammy's

Mark K

So I'm going to take out a second mortgage and pick up a few Sammy's. What sizes and colors? Please mention if you are throwing with spinning or baitcaster. They feel awfully light. Where are you fishing them. I'll be using on the Kank and in Wisconsin.

Mark:

I have quite a few in all three of the smaller sizes - the 65, the 85, and the 100. Don't mess with the 65 for sure! The 85 and 100 are the best sizes for smallmouths. After fishing the Sammys for a few years now, IMHO, the 100 size is the best size. It casts great and walks effortlessly. I would like to try the next size up this year - I think it is called the 115 size. I always throw my Sammys on casting gear. My favorite color (if it really matters, which I don't think it does for sure with the Sammy) is the American Shad.

Mark ,

I've got an 85 in clear plastic , throw in on medium spinning tackle 15 lb Mccoys. It's a good lure but it's not worth a second motgage. I got mine on a closeout when a store was changing ownership, no way I'd pay full price though.

So I'm going to take out a second mortgage and pick up a few Sammy's. What sizes and colors? Please mention if you are throwing with spinning or baitcaster. They feel awfully light. Where are you fishing them. I'll be using on the Kank and in Wisconsin.

They cast a mile with my casting gear on 10 lb. McCoy. I have only used them a few times at the end of last season and I like them. I was able to coax a 20" smallmouth into hitting Don's SkitterProp.

One of my reservations was dropping the dough on this bait and having a pike or musky make off with the goods. Funny thing was the 2nd fish I caught on one was a pike at the K3, something I hadn't caught there in quite awhile! I'd be real careful up in Wisconsin. Maybe you can try using them with a leader.

I will be flycasting most if not all of the time this season, so the ones I bought should stay safe most of the year.

Stay away from the 65 and 85, the Sammy 100 is where it is at. If you need a smaller profile LC WTD get a Lucky Craft gunfish 95. 65 and 85 Sammys just don't walk right. Buy on ebay and save $$$.

I use a spinning rod. Not sure when fish will start hitting these.

I agree about the 85's not walking right. Or at least not as easily as other baits do. The Rapala Skitter Walk is a bait you should try. Casts a mile, walks easily, and makes a good racket thanks to the weight inside.

Braided or superlines are a must with walk the dog baits. After throwing it a great distance the no-stretch lines make it easy to transmit the action from the rod to the bait. Springy monofilament just doesn't work.

I agree about the 85's not walking right. Or at least not as easily as other baits do. The Rapala Skitter Walk is a bait you should try. Casts a mile, walks easily, and makes a good racket thanks to the weight inside.

Braided or superlines are a must with walk the dog baits. After throwing it a great distance the no-stretch lines make it easy to transmit the action from the rod to the bait. Springy monofilament just doesn't work.

I picked one up when they first came out. They cast like a musky lure! I have caught smallies on them.

Braided or superlines are a must with walk the dog baits. After throwing it a great distance the no-stretch lines make it easy to transmit the action from the rod to the bait.

Preaching to the choir. No steenkin' mono!

I love the Skitter Prop. Have to try the walk.