Rain Jacket Recommendations

maineman

Frog Toggs definately get my vote. I got a set before my first tournament a number of years ago. They got put to the test immediately, and did quite well. I bought a new set last year, because after 3 or 4 years the first set started to fray. For the price they can't be beat. Just stay away from the thistles... ask Matt K! ;) BPS has them at a very fair price, but shop around and see what you come up with.

Ron -

I like Frog Toggs for lighter rains or when it's not raining constantly through the trip. Perfect to have around for the "surprise" shower. Easy to pack without taking too much space. If I'm fishing in heavier/constant rain, I'd go with something else.

Chip

Toggs are great for the price but not for driving rain situations IMO. I wore cheap stuff for years. I finally broke down and got a slick set of Browning Zero Gravity gortex packable raingear. They aren't cheap. Suggested retail was $350+ for the set, I got a pro-deal for $99.

I can stand in a monsoon and stay bone dry,they are super quite in a down pour because of the outer shell and with the gortex no sweating or feeling like your wearing a trashbag.

Linky: Browning Zero Gravity Paclite

Jim

Gore-Tex is the way to go. Places like Cabela's, Bass Pro, or Gander often have rain suits on sale. You should be able to get jacket & bibs for less than $200. If you fish from a boat, rain pants will leave a gap between the jacket and waistband that will leave you exposed to the rain, bibs prevent this.

Get a light weight set that has enough room for layers underneath so you can wear them in warm as well as cold weather.

Scott is on the money - my brother even bought the bibbed version of the Frogg Toggs - I have 2 sets of the pants - coat ones and the gap will leave you pretty wet in the middle and I don't sit on my chest in the boat or on the ride home. And - hey! Nothing wrong w/ wearing garbage bags - Frogg Toggs are made of recycled polypropelene (garbage bag material) - they're certainly good on a budget and YES - spend the extra $10-$12 for the bibbed ones.

The other choice is to watch for Pro-Series from Cabela's, BPS, or Gander Mtn's Guide Series - the problem is you're in the wrong season looking for a bargain on the better Gore-Tex stuff but its hard to beat!