Pictures of my Centerpin

Joe D

This is my Centerpin. As you can see, it's a pretty simple setup. I've taken the spool off so you can see the frame.

pinpics015.jpg

pinpics014.jpg

pinpics013.jpg

pinpics012.jpg

pinpics011.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, you pivot the reel 90 degrees to cast it, correct? You have to explain this stuff to us downstate guys, as I had not even heard of a Centerpin reel until 2000. I have NEVER seen one until now. It's more popular with the steelheading crowd, but outside of the G Lakes area, most are likely to have never heard of one. I would have thought it to be a fly reel, if you hadn't said otherwise.

if you notice in the 4th pic, there is a gap in between the frame and spool. the purpose of this is so the line can come off the spool like it does on a spinning reel only sideways rather than off the front . one method of casting a pin is to swing the rod with your casting arm and with your other hand, use it as a guide as the line comes off the spool sideways :blink::blink: it sounds confusing and it does take some practice. I usually start my cast and then pull line off the spool at the same time to start the spool in motion. this requires the right timing. remember pins are meant to be used more on moving water where not much of a cast is required, the line is slowly unwound off the reel as the currant takes your float down stream. however they can be cast if you need to. dont let this discurage you from pin fishing. it is with out a doubt the most natural and effective way to present a bait to the fish wheather it be live, flies, jigs or even plastics like gulp minnow and leeches or other plastics of that kind. I would be more than happy to show anyone how to fish with a centerpin once it warms up a little if anyone wants to meet up somewhere. I know myself, ken d and mike g have been talking about hitting the fox for smallies, walleyes and carp. maybe we can make it a outing and anyone that can make is more than welcome. I plan to flyfish and centerpin as much as I can this year. it is really all I want to do. any questions are welcome

Joe

greg, as a rule no. most reels have fixed reel seats. there are a few reels that can pivot at the reel seat but they are around $600 plus for those reels and other than on the internet I've never seen one

and you are right, its big with great lakes tribs fisherman but outside of that most guys dont know what they are. its a shame because they are deadly on many other fish other than steelies

Bill, didnt get the loomis yet. I may get the 5"matrix reel first because I did get a new 15' browning float rod so I need another reel first.

Ken, I got 50 yards of 20lbs dacron backing and 275 or 300 yards of mainline, I dont remember how much was on the spool but it took it all off a brand new spool. the capacity of line has no effect on the performance of the reel at all. the only way it might is if you cast with the line coming off the side of the spool. but I dont, I swing the rod and then pull the line straight off the spool to get it in motion. that cast seems to work the best for me. I have tangerine suffix in 10lbs for a main line. the tangerine for whatever reason is supposed to not absorb water making it more boyant. I also treat the line with a flyline dressing to help it float. but from what I'm told it is only the tangerine that floats. the best line according to the pro pinners is siglon F. dont see it around here at all, so I went with the suffix for now. when I get the matrix 5" I will find some siglon F and see if it is what everyone says it is.

by the way ken, get you get the raven matrix 5" through gats?? I'm in the market for one real soon.

Joe

remember pins are meant to be used more on moving water where not much of a cast is required, the line is slowly unwound off the reel as the currant takes your float down stream.

Sounds like a cinch for drifting hamburger for bulldog catfish.