are there any centerpin guys here??

Joe D

centerpining or float fishing is a deadly tactic for river smallies. and I was wondering how many guys here do it? I got into it over a year ago, mostly fishing the tribs in indiana for steelhead. I've fished the creeks for over 20 years and dont know how I ever did it without a centerpin, they are that effective! so now I will wage a attack with my pin on the smallies this year. river smallies will fear me and my pin this year :o

Joe

Guest rich mc

saw your centerpin reels last april. and i thought fly fishing was detailed and expensive. also saw one that ken darga had at gats a few weeks ago. we have alot in common starting with fishing, the way we go about it keeps changing as new things come up and old stuff gets stale.i think most anglers on this site havent seen a centerpin reel and rig . rich

well I'll do what I can to help promote centerpinning. its the most natural and effective way to present a bait to the fish. wheather it is livebait under a float, flies, jigs it is deadly! at the next ISA event( I think next sat??) I'll bring my centerpin and the terminal tackle I use along for the guys to check out. I have yet to use it for smallies, but my first trip to the river I will be bringing it along.

Joe

sounds like it would work for the float n fly tactic for cold water bronze. rich

I float-fish a jig under a float frequently---it can best be presented with a long rod, in the 9-13ft range.

A jig can also be presented under a slip-float, with success.

centerpining or float fishing is a deadly tactic for river smallies. and I was wondering how many guys here do it? I got into it over a year ago, mostly fishing the tribs in indiana for steelhead. I've fished the creeks for over 20 years and dont know how I ever did it without a centerpin, they are that effective! so now I will wage a attack with my pin on the smallies this year. river smallies will fear me and my pin this year :o

Joe

Also very effective for a variety of stream and river species,

with the bait presented under a float, whether moving or still waters.

I've used a centerpin reel, on-and-off for awhile.

My objective is to do more centerpin fishing this year.

A LONG rod is "key", in float-fishing.

Float fishing with a "bait-feeder" reel on a float rod is simplier over a center-pin reel.

I've seen some anglers have lots of difficulties with centerpin reels.

There are a couple reasonably priced bait-feeder reels on todays market---

Okuma and D-A-M. Both are great reels for the money.

More anglers are going to the baitfeeder reels, expecially the live bait angler.

Look for the "float fishing" article in the up-coming ISA newsletter.

the 5'' raven matrix is next on the list for me. a buddy of mine from mich. city got one and it is very nice. I think they are $229.99 if I remember right??? it is very smooth and has great start up.

Joe

no problem rich, I'll get it up as soon as I can. I'll get some pics of my gear togather.

Joe

the 5'' raven matrix is next on the list for me. a buddy of mine from mich. city got one and it is very nice. I think they are $229.99 if I remember right??? it is very smooth and has great start up.

Joe

Joe,

I've been playing with the Okuma Aventa, and for $135, I think its as good as Ravens Matrix for $230.

The Okuma has a very easy startup and free running.

I can zip several yards of line in with little effort.

It's so smooth and fast, that I'm going to have to install ceramic brakes on it.