new to the site

Joe D

hey guys, I'm new to the site. took the invite from rich to come over and check it out. I'm a avid flyfisherman and I do a little tying as well. I'll throw to anything that swims, but my main target with a flyrod is carp. after hooking one on a fly it became my new favorite fishing!! the more I learn about them the more I realize what a amazing fish they are. targeting carp will make you a all around better fly fisherman. they are as big of a challenge as you will get in freshwater. not only that, but you get to see what your backing looks like just about every time you hook one! they are a fight to the death fish. you need to be very quite and be able to precisely place a fly. easier said than done! I promote carp fishing as much as possible and you guys will probably get tired of me rambling on about carp on the fly. if you have never done it, you are really missing out on a untouched resource. but the secret is out and word is spreading fast. there are more and more articles written about it that are tempting many anglers to give them a chance. I know carp get a bad rap here in the states, but how can all of Europe be wrong?? the way I look at it is that carp are here to stay, there are plenty of them around in all the waters we fish. so why not make the best of it and take advantage of them. once you hook a freshwater bonefish you will understand the reasoning of my thinking. words do them no justice, you've got to expierience for yourself. I can assure you that you will not be disappointed!! I look forward to making new fishing friends here.

Joe

boy that didnt take long :lol: thats ok scott, I'm used to having my stones broke over my favorite fish. now you'll have to be the first guy here I have to convert :lol::lol:

Joe

Guest Don R

I was going to move this to the "other game fish" forum but then.....

Welcome Joe.

I've caught many carp while fishing for smallies. They'll hit on just about any small plastic. And yes, there are times when I target carp.

Have you considered winter carping? If you're interested, shoot me a PM. I know where 100 or so hang out. ;)

Hi JoeD,

Welcome aboard the ISA. You'll love this place.

Talkin' bronzeback, will make you see the lights---it won't be in your rear view mirror.

I'm ready to tackle some smallies on a fly.

My 8.5ft 3wt needs a good work-out.

I haven't been able to push it to its limits---can't seem to get a smallie over 20".

I'd certainly like to learn how to catch some of those fresh water bonefish, on a fly.

I'll take you up on that offer.

Joe,

Welcome to the site. I am very glad to see you here. Now that we cross paths on two sites, just think of it as stereo surfing.

Very soon folks here will appreciate Rich getting you to sign up.

About carp, when I think of it, one reason I don't do them is that I do not know how to fish for them. You may be able to cure my problem. Like Carp in some waters, Smallmouths got a bad rap when they invaded Landlocked Salmon lakes in Northern Maine. In some places Smallmouths and Largemouths are even referred to as the Brown Rats and Green Rats of the fishing world since they can aggressively displace more delicate native species like the trouts and Walleyes. No fish is perfect.

Anyway you owe it to yourself to join one of the SMB on a fly events. Then you will owe us a Carp on a fly lesson :rolleyes:

Guest rich mc

welcome joe. i have caught carp will fly fishin for smallies on the kish. they made great runs and muddied up the water . there were some posts before about smallies following the carp as they pick off food that the carp dig up for them. those crayfish patterns you make will catch both smallies and carp. rich

I've seen lots of those bugle mouth bass but I just can't get them to hit a Senko.

Scott,

Try a small hairjig resembling a fly when they're feeding which is evident when they're either tailing or mouthing at the surface or moving deliberately and slowly about just below the surface in a small area.As hard as they are to entice when they're not feeding they're pretty ez when they are as they lose much of their caution when they become focused on feeding.They really go nuts for mulberries in the spring and will hit bassbugs at that time.Also on caddis patterns during a summer caddis hatch.

Smallies following carp and grabbing some easy pickings , hush .

I've caught some truly huge carp in the 40 inch and up class on jigs when they are feeding on river shiners and small shad . It is a very effective pattern when there is a definite barrier like a dam that helps them herd the prey .

thanks for all the replies!! I already like it here, made some new friends and come across some old friends. I've got a fly pattern I designed that I call a "crawbug". it is what I would call a searching pattern. it looks like it could represent a few different things. I'll get some pics posted of a few of my flies that would do the trick for smallies. you guys got me all fired up to hit the rivers for a few bronze bombers!! another thing I want to do is fish lake mich smallies with a flyrod. I think the "crawbugs" I was talking about will be my go to fly for those big guys. I'll take anyone up on a fishing trip that wants to go. I usually give anyone that I fish with a few flies to try out. so fly guys lets go get 'em.

Joe

john, thanks for the invite. I'm pretty sure I will be able to make it and I'm looking forward to meeting some of the members. should I bring my vise and stuff??

Joe

Mike G, good to hear from some of my other friends again! I will be more than happy to cure your problem! I think me, you, KD and a couple of other guys have a appointment with some fox river smallies and golden bones anyway!

Joe

I tend to ramble on and on quite a bit!! I just love anything to do with fishing!!

Joe

Welcome to the site, Joe. At 18 posts in just a couple of days you're off to a great start! ;)

Better keep looking in your rear view mirror Jim , be some folks catching you if ya slack off .