Streams along I 57

WadeT

I go to Chicago every night from Urbana and I have noticed that I go over a lot of streams along interstate 57. Does anyone know if any of them would be worth trying to fish in?

thanks

Wade :ph34r:

The one in Kankakee is a fishless desert . ;)

Get off I-57 , take the back roads with a Del Lorme Gazzetter and have fun exploring . All of them have some fish but like any stream some stretches are better than others .

The one in Kankakee is a fishless desert . ;)

Get off I-57 , take the back roads with a Del Lorme Gazzetter and have fun exploring .

I've had some fun thinking about a "bridge survey" along various highways. I'm not sure I would have chosen I-57 as the place to do that. Most of those streams look like dogs to me, but who knows until you check?

The Middle Fork of the Vermilion does cross it somewhere. That should have fish, but it might not be a good stretch there at the highway. I don't fish the Kank, but what's at that bridge looks less fishy than most of the other parts I've seen. I agree with Norm that you'll probably have to get off the interstate to find the good spots.

Don't forget to ask for land-owner permission if you want to access the river away from the bridge.

Norm is right- get a Del Lorme Gazetteer, if you don't own one already.

The first time I ever cracked one open while on the road, I was jumping out at bridge crossings on country roads all over the place.

Rock bass, catfish, crappies, largemouth...and of course smallmouth.

You'd be amazed what you can find in a creek 10 feet across, 2 feet deep.

BT ,

It's become traditional for me to fish my way to the blowout , any time I go .

This year won't be any different , just fishing a smaller river than I used to .

BT ,

It's become traditional for me to fish my way to the blowout , any time I go .

This year won't be any different , just fishing a smaller river than I used to .

Hehe, just a little joke there, we'll be fishing on the way home Sunday, somewhere near Lafayette. B)

After today, I want to go fish tommorrow. See what I'm giving up??? :)

Thanks for all the input yall... Going to the library today to look at a Del Lorme Gazetteer.. Does anyone know where I can buy one?

Walden Books and other chain book stores have them in stock. At least the books for the Mid-west.

Dont forget you will also need one for Ind., Wisc., Minn., Mo., Ark., Mich........................ ;)

I've had some fun thinking about a "bridge survey" along various highways. I'm not sure I would have chosen I-57 as the place to do that. Most of those streams look like dogs to me, but who knows until you check?

The Middle Fork of the Vermilion does cross it somewhere. That should have fish, but it might not be a good stretch there at the highway. I don't fish the Kank, but what's at that bridge looks less fishy than most of the other parts I've seen. I agree with Norm that you'll probably have to get off the interstate to find the good spots.

Don't forget to ask for land-owner permission if you want to access the river away from the bridge.

I-57 crosses the Middle Fork south of Paxton, Mile Post 58 or so. I haven't caught any smallies this far up. I am told, back in the day, that there were once good populations. The farthest upstream where I have caught decent smallies (around 14 inches) was in the area of the Middle Fork County Park north of Penfield.

As for the Kankakee (I grew up on that river, fishing it since I was about 8 years old with my dad, and it drives me nuts when I hear it called the "Kank"), thar be smallies up and down from the 57 bridge, if you know what to look for...basic stuff like rip-rap, concrete retainer walls, docks, etc. But, you're gonna need a boat.

I-57 crosses the Middle Fork south of Paxton, Mile Post 58 or so. I haven't caught any smallies this far up. I am told, back in the day, that there were once good populations. The farthest upstream where I have caught decent smallies (around 14 inches) was in the area of the Middle Fork County Park north of Penfield.

As for the Kankakee (I grew up on that river, fishing it since I was about 8 years old with my dad, and it drives me nuts when I hear it called the "Kank"), thar be smallies up and down from the 57 bridge, if you know what to look for...basic stuff like rip-rap, concrete retainer walls, docks, etc. But, you're gonna need a boat.

I have had mixed feelings about fishing in the middle fork around Paxton. I think im going to try out this year.

I have also got permission from one land owner to fish the embress river south of Champaign. I was down there sunday and saw a couple fish just not shure what they were..I reckon Ill find out soon>>>> B)