Go Get Yo' Self Some Cheap Sunglasses...

Mark K

My Maui Jims no longer fit me...

I would go out and get another pair, but I just have too many expensive hobbies. I discovered two brands at REI. Chilli's and Peppers. Of course they aren't nearly as nice as M.J.'s or Oakley's but they are remarkably clear and look pretty sharp. I had a pair last year, but I loaned them to my nephew and never got them back. I used them a few times fishing and they have excellent polarization charcateristics.

I bought one pair yesterday that has a pretty light tint and I saw another witha little darker that I like too. They range from around 20-35 bucks, so have a coupla pairs is not out of the question.

The ones I got look like this:

http://www.rei.com/product/709929

Warning, if you never been to REI. They have a lot and lots of cool outdoors stuff. You might spend more than 20 bucks on shades.

That is a good tip Mark.

IMHO no one should go fishing without sunglasses. (Get yellow for cloudy days.)

Besides polarized glasses letting me see under water, I get two other benefits, reduced chance of seasickness and eye protection. I am not sure why the first one works. As for the second one, if you have seen my fly casting, you know why I need them.

Ken, I just don't wear glasses for them to fit over. I've tried them but they weren't very comfortable.

I have seen a pair or 2 in $200+ class with yellow lenses but I've tried them on and they had a curved lens that for me were blurry. I had a pair of H2O glasses with interchangeable lenses that to me (not to other people) were blurry. The $12 Strike Kings are much clearer to me than Oakley's or Maui Jim's. Apparently curved lenses have that effect on some people.

I've got a pair of JKruz glasses you can try out, Scott. Less then 1/2 the price of MJ's or Oakly's and quite stylish! ;) I'm on their field staff also, and had a few deals that I'll have to see are still any good. If you want, check them out at http://www.jkruzeyewear.com/ I've worn mine but had to take my glasses off. The do work great, and the things that are normally in focus without my glasses were still in focus with the shades on.

Here is another plug. I have tried alot of sunglasses over the years. A friend turned me onto Fishermen Eyewear. They also go by the name of Guideline. Cabelas sells them. Without a doubt the best fitting glasses I have ever worn. They have all different prices with most being around $50. They also have all tints. I got a pair of copper lenses and yellow lenses. They are outstanding!!!

Guys, I wrote an article for the ISA Journal on polarized sunglasses recently that might answer many of your questions but I'm not sure when Steve Jordan intends to run it. As an eye doctor that has spent a lot of my life on the water, I have faced many of your same concerns.

• 3 months later...
Guest Don R

Do you need to shell out big money for a designer pair in order to really protect your eyes. The answer? Actually no.

Ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun can burn the corneas and conjunctivas of your eyes, causing all manner of issues, including cataracts. And, though there are some basic guidelines set by the "American National Standards Institute," the FDA doesn't regulate sunglasses, so you're kind of on your own with this purchase and need to be informed.

Sunglass-buying suggestions:

1. Don't purchase a pair of sunglasses without a specific UV claim/label, whether they are fancy designer or not.

2. This label should reveal the amount of protection you're getting—what you're looking for is 95% UV reduction, but you can also take something called "UV-400" and “UV absorption up to 400nm,” which according to this story, is basically the same thing (eye wear may also be labeled "cosmetic," which means the lenses will block out just 70% of sun frying).

3. These guidelines have absolutely nothing to do with the price or label. Many drugstore brands, though probably not as stylish as you'd want, offer the highest level of protection. Conversely, many of the most luxury lines, offer zilch.

1. Don't purchase a pair of sunglasses without a specific UV claim/label, whether they are fancy designer or not.

Once you've met a large number of older commercial fishermen who spend every day on the water, this point drives itself home. Their eyes are in terrible shape.

You're getting a smaller dose of UV, than they are but much more than the average person.

UV protection is a must.