Getting ready for warmer days..

BartBurgess

Probably a bit pansic for me to sit in Alabama and bee'tch about 50 degree air temps. Looking for 60's, tommorrow, hope to find some big creek spots and red-eye..Thought I would share some summer patterns.

-One of my favorite crawfish patterns. May through September. Can't see the mono eyes-they're in there, nice nod toward to natural.

P2150053-1.jpg

This has worked early in the am and late in the evening when big fish are looking up. I dig swinging this into a big eddy next to some shoreline structure.

P2040029.jpg

Gotta have a good cicada pattern around here..Our summer nights are sometimes overwhelmed with the cicada buzz.

P2040027.jpg

*The "stealth bomber" this is a Kent Edmonds creation-Georgia native. This fly has everything going for it. It dives, pops, releases a air bubble. Big fish kill it.

P2150054.jpg

Anyrate, wanted to share some stuff that works around here...I hope to visit you guys this summer and see if some of those Illy smallmouth will eat some Sou'thun soul food.

Come on Bart, I was fishing for stripers in the rain today on Lanier before we got chased off by tornado warnings. Lets show those Yankees some Southern fortitude.

I've "got em"..I dig fishing in end of the world apocalyptic conditions. Winter striper fishing is our answer to ice tents and augers. Tornado warnings? Don't get get in the boat with Pete Elkins. "Sure bets" for chasing striper.

1.The weather is going to be nature's answer to a GWAR gig.

2. There's gonna be wind. You will be casting sink tips, big flies, and..There's gonna be wind.

3. At one point after 3 hours of "chasing birds", 2 hours into discussing the "feeding habits of the tern and laughing gull", you will remind yourself that you have never written a thesis on these non-native birds-At this point, your lips have cracked open, twice, and you begin to think that your fishing buddy-may have, for giggles and grins, dosed you with peyote.

4.There will be wind.

P1090002.jpg

View from the back..Water was just about to crank up to a "surf".

Jan. outting..After 5 hours , winds gusting to 25mph. My phone starts blowing up . "Hey Pete, my wife is telling me that Jefferson County is cutting schools loose at 1:00 due to tornados..Reply..'Ok."..."Uhhh..me-feeling like a girl".."I may need to bolt..." Dead-pan reply.."Bart, YOU do know that IT could TURN ON this afternoon.".."Uhhh, hey honey-call to my wife-.."Think you could grab the kids from school?"...My wife's reply.."Don't want to be the ONE to "call it" huh?...That's right honey, got my street cred to protect." :D .... :blink:

Striper fishing..

What's the deadline on the craw'dad swap?

My wife says that the next time I fish thru another tornado , she's gonna kill me if I survive the storm . It's hard to leave when the fish are in a frenzy to feed .

The shot of 50 degree temps on Sunday sure was nice , except for the ankle deep mud . The hawk is back in town with a vengence tonight . Oh well , sub zero windchills mean I'll have the river to myself .

My wife says that the next time I fish thru another tornado , she's gonna kill me if I survive the storm . It's hard to leave when the fish are in a frenzy to feed .

The shot of 50 degree temps on Sunday sure was nice , except for the ankle deep mud . The hawk is back in town with a vengence tonight . Oh well , sub zero windchills mean I'll have the river to myself .

Norm, that particular day. We came up with 2 goose eggs. I believe that we would have been pulling back to dock if we had boated a few fish early in the day. I guess it's not wanting to leave what "seems" like good striper conditions -even when the fish are NOT feeding-is what could get a boat sucked into a vortex in Alabama and deposited somewhere in Georgia. This has been a tough striper winter down here. We have one dam that south of me that has been on fire. Seems I am on lockdown every time I get an opportunity to fish it..

Sub-zero..Ahhhh the sound of freezing reels and guides snapping .. :o

Bart ,

Worst case scenario is getting deposited in Naperville Illinois by the tornado . Some real unsavory characters up there . Now , Bourbonnais Illinois , on the other hand would be a slice of heaven on earth .

It could be that the fish that day were like the horse in the movie the Quiet Man when it stops in front of the pub , prompting one of the best lines of the movie - " bedoubt , I think you have more sense than meself" . Some days we let what we think should happen override the cues that nature is providing us .

I'll be heading out in a few minutes , keeping tabs on sick kids while she gets out of the house for a spell . The only snapping sounds will be from my knees .