Spinnerbaits vs jigs

Norm M

With the high water situation lately it's mostly been a matter of pitching baits to flooded trees and shoreline pockets . So far , a singlespin with a large colorado blade and a 5 inch twister on the back has outproduced jigs with any type of soft plastic from twisters to walleye assassains to tubes .

I think it's the thump from the big colorado blade that is the difference as there is no visibilty whatsoever and the fish are prolly relying on thier sense of feel . To try and confirm this I added a jigspinner to my jigs and that rig also out produced the plain jig . I can't say for sure that is the only reason but I really can't see anything else at this point .

Maybe a different point of view would help , any thoughts would be appreciated .

As far as an fnf rig with the braided currents and all the snaggles/tangles I think you would lose a lot of rigs and time retieing .

Usually it's not a real hard hit this time of year , sometimes it's hard to distinguish the take from the pull of a branch . On occasion it's arm jarring but that tends to be the exception .

One thing I like about the thump from the big blades in this situation is that when it stops it is time to set the hook .

You also need to pay attention to the drop rate as when the spinnerbait is sliding down along the tree it seems that at times the bass may pin it against the tree at the level they are sitting at . When they do this they generally don't move seeing as how there is no need to and many times not a lot of room to move in anyway . You may see the line twitch but it tends to twitch a bit as it skins down the bark so your best clue is that you don't feel it hit bottom and see the associated bow in the line that comes with it when you think you should .

Today it was the lack of thump that was the key as the water was dropping and there was a little bigger slack pockets so you could kinda swim / pull it with the rod . The fish wanted the bait moving and when they took it , the thump stopped and you got that something ain't quite right feeling .

I tried a swim jig with a walleye assassain after a couple fish hit it on the swim but it was ignored , evidently the thump still attracted the fish . I also tried fishing a jig on the bottom but all I got was leaves and debris .

Norm have your tried throwing a shakee blade on your swim jig?

I hate to say it, but I think it's time I start carrying two rods in the winter. FnF is dynamite. I do miss taking apart a laydown and feeling the bottom. I just can't toss in many of the fishy areas with FnF. It got really bad the last couple of days with the sub zero temps freezing line and guides.

Norm,

I agree w/ the techniques - I have also found in the fall/winter off-colored waters of the Rock that a jig w/ a spinner (Road Runners) work pretty well for both smallies and 'eyes.

The fish don't have trouble finding the bait - the bite is usually just the wet rag or I'll lose the feeling of the jig coming back to me.

Big Colorado blades seem to play on the same seek & find methods.

Haven't tried the other blade -type baits but will look for your feedback

Brian ,

I know the Road runner type jigs work on my flow , there is a handful of guys that do quite well with them . I also had success in the past with the whistler jig[edit to correct jig name] but I've been trying to cut down on how much I carry . I'll prolly end up grabbing some of each type and trying them at some point this year as I seem to be back into my lets see what else will work mood again .

Brendan ,

Never thought of adding a blade to the swim jigs , can't recall mention of the shakee blade but then again I'm to the point where the wife puts get in the car and come home on the bottom of the grocery list . I'll try a google search and see what comes up .

The jig spinner is a right handy thing to carry , not only adds some flash but it's easy to change jig head types/sizes without retieing every time . You might want to get some of the smaller sizes and turn some of them lil jigs you fnf with into mini spinnerbaits for a change of pace presentation . Put a real small rubberband from the jig eye to the hook for a kinda snag gaurd and toss into some wood .

Brian ,

I know the Road runner type jigs work on my flow , there is a handful of guys that do quite well with them . I also had success in the past with the airplane jig w/spinner but I've been trying to cut down on how much I carry . I'll prolly end up grabbing some of each type and trying them at some point this year as I seem to be back into my lets see what else will work mood again .

Brendan ,

Never thought of adding a blade to the swim jigs , can't recall mention of the shakee blade but then again I'm to the point where the wife puts get in the car and come home on the bottom of the grocery list . I'll try a google search and see what comes up .

The jig spinner is a right handy thing to carry , not only adds some flash but it's easy to change jig head types/sizes without retieing every time . You might want to get some of the smaller sizes and turn some of them lil jigs you fnf with into mini spinnerbaits for a change of pace presentation . Put a real small rubberband from the jig eye to the hook for a kinda snag gaurd and toss into some wood .

Shakee blade is generic-ese for chatter blade. I have plenty of them if you want I'll send you some. Gold plated and hologrammed.

Chatterblades are designed to be use on any shape jig. Depending on whether you use a flat or verticle eye 1 or 2 split rings will snap one right on.

I used to throw those spinners on everything. Might be worth a try on FnF.

Try a safety-pin spinner of a jig/grub presentation.

Keep the blade size small and jig weigh higher to allow depth maintenace in fast water.

I also throw the Venom Super-Do weedless 1/4 oz. jig with a 4"-5" skirted(spider), single or dbl. tailed grub. This pattern can take the toughest cover.

Try a Venom 4" stonecat pattern in place of the grub.. Stonecat are at there biggest in the spring.

Rick ,

At times I like to fish a single spin just like it is a jig and many of those times I'll take the skirt off and substitute a 5 inch grub . The blade gives it enough lift that it doesn't snag up often while staying in the zone near the bottom . When it changes directions at the end of the retrieve and the blade thumps a little more I believe it contributes to fish commiting to the bait .

Fishing a songlespin like a jig also takes some very large cats , I've had them bend the spinnerbait in a mess that is past the point of repair .

This past summer I brought out a blast from the past, the Johnson Beetle Spin and had very good luck on LMB. Has anyone had any luck w/ this bait on smallies? Does anyone think that putting a larger grub etc on it instead of the split tail that comes w/ it would produce better or is the hook size too small/ Just a thought.

Chris B

Chris B:

Johnson Beatle Spins®, spin-jig bodies, or the like, are available in sizes 1/32 to 1/4oz.

Try any plastic grub, worm, craw, or the like---

as a trailer, they'll all catch smallies.

Use small sizes when targeting small fish, such as bluegill or crappie, and

larger sizes for LMB and SMB.

(You'll catch more fish on the smaller sizes).

The wire frame with blade, is available, in blade sizes from #0 thru #3 blade.

Select a plain jig head, add a trailer---plastic or live bait (minnow, worm, crawfish).

Select a jig size with blade and jig head weight, that you desire.

Obtain a supply of various spin-jig sizes.

Start with 1/16 & 1/8oz sizes for smallies.

You can also obtain separate "blades" and change them out.

Gold is a good color choice, as well as hammer copper.

I've used 3" size c'tail grubs, as well as 3 - 5" Lunker City Hellgies, spinnerbait trailers, button-tail shad plastics, dressed on 1/16, 1/8 & 1/4oz, and have done very well.

Spin-jigs work for me.

ps---GAT's in Dundee, has a huge selection of these spin-jigs and components to make your own versions.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris,

I started with the beeetle spin and moved to additional variations or plastic tails and blade types, sizes and jig weights. The possibilities are many.

It has be a great pattern for searching, attractive attention or intimidating a target to strike. Great as a spinnerbait, fluttering jig, bottom bouncer or swimming imitator.

The jig & safety-pin spinner is a good starter pattern for a less experienced angler as the hook tends to ride up, away from most snagging structures. My kids started with these and still have them in their tackle bags.

If you think things can be goofy. My adult son hooks a safety-pin spinner to the eye of a road runner jig. He adds a white grub and throws that thing. Its the darndest thing that hooks the smallies when the are chasing small shad. Plenty of flash!

Norm,

I not sure where this lies in the subject. I high water/high flow situations where the structure is more likely to be stone. I have used smaller Erie Dearies with single-tail grubs, double-tail grubs, small swimbaits, 4" worms or tubes.

I can get the presentation out into the flow and down towards the bottom structures.

Rick ,

I used to use the Eire Dearies like that with the twin tail grub for walleye years back . It also worked well for trout/salmon on Lake Michigan .

Thanks for reminding me .

Ken ,

I would tip it with a smelt when fishing the big pond .

Totally irrelevant to the subject at hand :

Smelt fishing the easy way .

While casting for and catching large browns during the smelt run on the lakefront , look for the guy with the most smelt and the least beer.

Trade 12 packof beer for 5 gallon bucket of smelt . You get enough cut bait to fish for cats all summer and generally munch a few smelt while drinking one of the beers you just traded .