Mike Clifford

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
We've had three 20" smallies caught by ISA members (in Illinois!) this spring....let's get 'em posted on this thread guys ;)

Congrats!

Is it back to the float and fly for this weekend? Water temps dropping like a rock...snow and highs in the 30's! At least the water levels are coming down :)

Here's mine..even if it does need a pinch to make the grade. With the pinch he's at least 20. Possibly 30.

Like Teddy said " Speak softly and carry a big stick."

It was a good couple of weeks. That fish topped the list for length, but there was a host of others. All on baits brought in at break neck speed from 46-51 degree water. You know where to find the rest of 'em Joz.

Here is one from the 2006 Midwest Rodeo (Indiana) in June. After about 5 years of fishing for smallies in moving water this is the first 20" smallie I have actually got my hands on. There have been a handful of others but they all ended with a sad story. I caught it on a Bandit 100 crank in silver sparkle minnow off that concrete wall in the background in heavy current right under a drain tube. I caught my second 20" the following month (no pic) on my home water (small flow) on a 4" Hooked Up tube in natural craw. The water was up a little so the fish could go where they usually cannot and it was one of those spots where I caught it. I was casting downstream and bringing the tube up to the top of the water column and dropping it down, the fish hit it on the drop in ~2-3ft of water. I also caught a 19, 18, 17, and 2 16s that day. What a day it was.

jbcook20insmallie.jpg

Went for my first early season shake down cruise for smallies with my canoe on Monday, beautiful day compared to this stuff we are having now.

I was elated to tie into my first "big fish" smallie at 20 1/2".

Since my goal for the year was a 20" smallmouth I guess this means Im done for the season. I dont think so, I have realigned

my goals and set 21" as my new goal. :)

This is the first year I have fished in October and April, I wont miss these months again. As a matter of fact I have a weeks vacation reserved for October.

I caught mine while fishing the fertile waters of the treatment plant. Those fish can see really good in that clear water.

plant_20.jpg

Caught one similar at the lakefront...

Nice job of manipulating there Eric.

Sad thing is I had to look at it twice before I got it.

You know its sad getting old, but its a hell of alot better than the alternative :D

• 2 months later...
Only 7 twenty plus so far this year , been real slow so far .

ONLY! <_<

If I add up my lake 20s , my river 20s, and my creek 20s, my total comes to zero.

Jude,

35 years , 150 plus days a year on the same flow combined with a rapidly closing window of opportunity on some older very successful year classes .