Potential Midwest Region Smallmouth Alliance

jackbrow

I'm president of the Wisconsin Smallmouth Alliance, and I've had conversations with other Alliances about forming

a regional alliance. The state alliances don't have a central authority or location which means each state invents

their own program. Lots of duplication, lots of work for a small area of interest. In my opinion, the issues of

warm water fishing conservation, water quality, habitat, youth education and all of the others values each of the

alliances strive to direct resources toward needs a national voice. Ducks Unlimited, Trout Unlimited, Pheasants

Forever and their programs need to be managed by people interested in The Smallmouth Alliance focus.

There is a clear need for co-operation between state alliances. There is no need to re-invent the wheel in each state. To co-ordinate efforts across state borders, a regional grouping of state alliances sounds like just the ticket. Before going all out for creating a regional SMA, however, I would like to know what the role of the "National Smallmouth Alliance" is or should be. Would a regional group be duplicating what the National Alliance does or what it ought to be doing? How many levels should the pyramid have?

There is a clear need for co-operation between state alliances. There is no need to re-invent the wheel in each state. To co-ordinate efforts across state borders, a regional grouping of state alliances sounds like just the ticket. Before going all out for creating a regional SMA, however, I would like to know what the role of the "National Smallmouth Alliance" is or should be. Would a regional group be duplicating what the National Alliance does or what it ought to be doing? How many levels should the pyramid have?

From what I can see on the National site, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Missouri have active chapters. Ohio, New Hampshire, and Susquahana are dormant. Is there a Minnesota or Indiana alliance? It almost looks like a region including IL, MO, and WI would de facto be the National Alliance.

If anyone is still working on the National Alliance, I'd love to hear from them. I got a note that someone in Missouri was making inquiries, but from all the feedback I've gotten across the alliances, I don't think anything has happened there for a long time.

This is all in the preliminary stages. If anyone is out there who has been working on this, please do speak up.

I know I'll screw up the names and the spellings, but Tim Holschlag and Dan Johnson were both down in Indy last weekend for a fly fishing show. I got to speak with them briefly. According to Dan (both from Minnesota BTW), he was the original founder (or one of) of the Smallmouth Alliance and he told me there was NO National Alliance, though he definitely saw the need for such an organization. I don't know all the history behind the group, website and name, but that was his "update" as to current status.

If that is the case, forming an "official" Regional Alliance here in the Midwest would seem to be the first step toward that ultimate goal. Once the region is formed and "staffed" and consisting of various state alliances, the next natural progression would be to start promoting other regions/states to develop and come on board using the framework we have established as a template. Numerous regional and national conferences (AFS/NALMS/APMS, etc.) we could be a part of (exhibit/sponsor/speak) at and spread the word quickly. Getting our own regional group together is obviously the first step in that direction.

Mods, feel free to move this thread if deemed appropriate to a more appropriate forum.

-Brian

From what I can see on the National site, Wisconsin, Illinois, and Missouri have active chapters. Ohio, New Hampshire, and Susquahana are dormant. Is there a Minnesota or Indiana alliance? It almost looks like a region including IL, MO, and WI would de facto be the National Alliance.

My bad. Ohio is alive and well at:

http://ohiosmalliance.proboards82.com/index.cgi

Though not an alliance, Indiana is in the chase with:

http://www.indianasmallmouth.com/phpBB2/index.php

That's all for now.

My bad. Ohio is alive and well at:

http://ohiosmalliance.proboards82.com/index.cgi

Though not an alliance, Indiana is in the chase with:

http://www.indianasmallmouth.com/phpBB2/index.php

That's all for now.

Two quick edits:

First, according to postings over on the TOSA board, Missouri has assumed some level of control over the National board and is presently doing some revamping of the site. However, that doesn't change the fact that their is no formal structure or recognized national group other than in name only, and would seem to be a big issue that would need to be worked out amongst various state alliances/entities.

Second, the link provided is NOT the Indiana group. The Indiana group started as an off-shoot of that message board (only logical) and most all of our members hang out there, but our official stand-alone group site is www.iscconservation.org. It has always been an issue of confusion, but it is what it is at the moment.

-Brian

If that is the case, forming an "official" Regional Alliance here in the Midwest would seem to be the first step toward that ultimate goal.

Brian's statements here reflect the best hopes of pulling this all together.

The leadership of all of the active alliances that I know about (including Missouri, Ohio, Wisconsin and Indiana) have been contacted and invited to that discussion, and they have all accepted that invitation. If there are other Alliances that want to participate, they are welcome as well.

Some of that discussion will occur here. Some of it will occur in private. Bringing large groups of people together is a complicated process and it will go much more smoothly in a cooperative, low-key environment. Please have patience as this goes forward, be welcoming to the new participants and by all means, do what you can to meet and greet the new registrants on the ISA forum.

A "National Smallmouth Alliance" was initiated, several years ago, but never materialized.

It appeared a short time on a website, and had links to various states, as they formed.

I believe Jonn Graham may recall some of this.

Jonn was pres at the time and started the initial

ISA event closer to the Chicago area.

The first event was in Kank area, and Tim H was the guest speaker.

The initial membership/group was about 20 anglers, then went to over 60 members after that 1st event Jonn G got going,

and hasn't slowed since.