got my newsletter

Guest rich mc

From what Tim says regarding the Dupage R. in his fine article in the newsletter on phopsphates its days as a quality stream for big smallmouths at least if not all smallmouths in general are sadly ending due to the excessive weed growth and augmented for the first time this year with massive algae growth as well.It's inevitable that this year's kill of big smallmouths will be a regular occurance if phosphates are not reduced.The main source seems to be the wastewater trreatment plants in Plainfield most of which presumably came on liine in recent years with P's explosive growth.What is puzzling is about 2 years ago at an ISA neeting at Gander Mtn in Elgin a speaker,who I believe was with the DNR, said that older wastewater treatment plants were not equipped to treat for phosphates leading one of course to conclude that newer ones,which seemingly would include those recent ones, should be.Why than does the situation get worse every year with the coup de gras this year being delivered by the algae? Was the speaker wrong? Or was it decided not to equip those new plants with that technology to save a buck? If the bottom line sobs running Plainfield had any say, the latter is the likely answer.

Guest rich mc

ron , you mentioned the waste water plants in plainfield.but wasnt the fish kill in naperville. either way we are working on a system to check the water so if it happens again ,we have proof. more on this this spring. ISA is not giving up on this possible reocurring situation . rich

ron , you mentioned the waste water plants in plainfield.but wasnt the fish kill in naperville. either way we are working on a system to check the water so if it happens again ,we have proof. more on this this spring. ISA is not giving up on this possible reocurring situation . rich

Rich,Since from what I've been told the weed and algae growth is the most egregious in the main Plainfield branch I assumed the kill was there.I haven't fished the west branch in several years.Is it as bad?It couldn't possibly be worse and if it's not as bad and the kill happened there I hate to think what awaits in Plainfield.Conditions are also deteriorating as far downstream as Channahon where while the streambed doesn't allow for quite as much weed growth algae has begun to raise its ugly head in addition increasing weed growth.