Think The Rodent Is Big?

Jim Kast

Well think again. This is just hot off the presses at Bettencourt Baits, may not even be on the website, yet. We've all seen snakes in or on the banks of the local rivers, swimming around and doing whatever it is that snakes do. Now we've got a bait to match them, and can see if they're on the smallies' menu. Oh yeah.... they're just about 10" long!

Guest rich mc

one could have fun with that. let it slip downriver to where some bank fishers are in your spot. it may scare them away. there is a similar one made for muskies out of soft plastic, its over a foot long

Well think again. This is just hot off the presses at Bettencourt Baits, may not even be on the website, yet. We've all seen snakes in or on the banks of the local rivers, swimming around and doing whatever it is that snakes do. Now we've got a bait to match them, and can see if they're on the smallies' menu. Oh yeah.... they're just about 10" long!

Let me add 10 inch Power Worms. I was using them at least 10 years ago on LM Bass. 10 inch worm, 10 inch bass. With Smallmouth Bass I would expect 10 inch worm, 8 inch bass. But, at times, true to the theory, the big meal attracted a big fish. I can't imagine no one has tried them on SM Bass.

Now that I have converted to fly fishing, my 10" Power Worms are excess baggage. pMail me if you want some at a reasonable price.

Let me add 10 inch Power Worms. I was using them at least 10 years ago on LM Bass. 10 inch worm, 10 inch bass. With Smallmouth Bass I would expect 10 inch worm, 8 inch bass. But, at times, true to the theory, the big meal attracted a big fish. I can't imagine no one has tried them on SM Bass.

Now that I have converted to fly fishing, my 10" Power Worms are excess baggage. pMail me if you want some at a reasonable price.

I fished 10 inch worms in a local FP quarrie. Yep caught plenty of 10 inch fish. Also caught some nice ones. The advantage of the 10 inch worm is that you can use it with a very heavy weight in very, very heavy cover, with a huge 4/0 hook. To me the bulky package worked better. And I don't think bass are mistaking it for a snake. I think they are just tuned into some movement and it imitatting something alive.

Ever catch a water snake and have him take a crap on you? It is some foul smelling stuff and I would hate to get a mouth full if I was a predator. It has to be a defense mechanism. I moved a big Fox Snake that was sunning itself right in the middle of the bike trail that I ride. Man it was pissed off and unloaded on my bike gloves, I had to toss them. S.O.B ingrate.

That quarrie is loaded with water snakes. I've never seen one get eaten and the never seem to be in a hurry even when they are going thru lily pads in very bassy water. I have my doubts about all these odd ball baits. They do seem like the the type of thing that lure collectors will covet and pay crazy amounts of money for on E-bay.

When I was in Missouri this past spring, I was at a place called Dogwood Canyon which is owned by Bass Pro founder Johnnie Morris. The stream that runs through the canyon has been altered with man made wiers forming several pools to which rainbow trout have been stocked. At one of the pools, a 12 inch or so trout was swimming around with a 12 inch copperhead snake hanging out of it's mouth. Stock up on that Bohemian Cheneille!

Here's an 11 incher from Doug Hannon:

BrownMocassin_3948.jpg

The site is worth a look: http://www.bassprofessor.com/